_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Help Finding Verlinden Conversion for M578
Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 616 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2002 - 11:29 PM UTC
I am trying to find an OOP conversion kit by Verlinden. it is the M578 Recovery vehicle, and as best I can determine it has been OOP for about 5 yrs. If anyone has one gathering dust and would be willing to part with it or knows of a lead to one, I would appreciate hearing from you. [email protected] Thanks, Dave
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 01:54 AM UTC
I believe that conversion was by AEF. As the golden rule goes, if you can't say anything nice, don't ay anything at all about AEF conversions.
I'd suggest trying a scratchbuilding project. The Squadron M-60 in Action has a number of good pictures. I used this to convert an ESCI 1/72 M-60 a few years ago.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 02:41 AM UTC
It is Verlinden who used to make this conversion kit, I believe it was for the Italeri kit. I sent out a couple of feelers in search of it. As soon as I hear something I'll let you know...keep your fingers crossed.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 02:45 AM UTC
Al,

I *think* that you're refering to the M728 on the M60 chassis. Verlinden did do a M578 conversion for the M110 chassis a number of years ago.

52dweb44: I have this conversion if you can't find one. Just not completely sure that I'm ready to part with it. One of those "one of these days" kits....

Again, I *think*. #:-)

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 02:53 AM UTC
It WAS a Verlinden kit, made for the Italeri M110. I know because I made one about 20 years ago and I still think it's one of the nicest kits that were ever made. It's a shame it's OOP. It is one of only two dioramas that survived from my early modeling period (I stopped for ten years after that).
The kit consists of a large number of resin accessories and a large set of PE.
I sure hope you can lay your hands on one of those !
Good luck with the search.
ARMDCAV
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 115 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 03:18 AM UTC
tHEY COME UP ON (now why the heck am i shouting) ebay every now and then. Price is way beyond what I'm willing to spend though. Obviously not to other people though.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 05:12 AM UTC
I don't know how much I spent on it. I was only in my early twenties then, so it can't have been too expensive. Verlinden was still living in Belgium at the time, so we were almost neighbours. Verlinden was the only after market brand available on the Belgian market at the time, too.
Too bad it"s gone now. Maybe some day I'll scratchbuild it on 1/16 th. It woul be great next to the M35 in a large dio, and the wheels of an M110 are not all that hard to make (easier than most tanks). I figure if I can make one scale of a track and copy that, I'm done with the whole track... Hmmm. I'll keep it in mind.
Let us know when you got the kit and how much you paid in the end, wiill you ?
Thanks,
jan
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 08:17 AM UTC
As Homer Simpson would say, "DOH!" Getting old is tough.
m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 10:15 AM UTC
The folks at MMiR published a soft-cover volume that only address Engineer-type tracked vehicles. Not only is the M578 covered (the M110 donor kit with the OOP Verlinden conversion) but there are TWO M88s as well. One of those sports the MR interior conversion, and all three are enough to get a person planning a new motor pool of modern (relatively!) engineer and recovery vehicles. I'm done with the M88A1, and am on hold to finish the AEF M728 CEV conversion. As AJ said, if you can't say anything nice about AEF,,,,,,,,,,

Pick up a copy of the MMiR book (Movers, Hauler, Pushers and Shakers) from wherever you buy MMiR. Strange, though, that the M728 conversion didn't make it into the book. Oh well!

Jim Peterson
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 10:33 AM UTC
It is a verlinden kit and I got mine by posting in every buy and sell forum I could find. I gotta believe someone out there has one in the closet. I can't be the only one with 30 resin conversions to build in the closet

Josh Weingarten
aka shiryon :-)
Vietnamodels
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7 posts
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2002 - 01:59 AM UTC
I have two of these for sale. Price is 40 GBP each, shipping to be negotiated (depending on where you live, I am in the UK).

Email me at [email protected]

Andy
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2002 - 04:12 AM UTC
Andy,
If our young friend does not need two, and nobody else desperately needs to have one, I'm interested in buying one of those for 40 GBP.
You can take your time to wait for the original poster's reaction : I'm not going places and there's no rush. But plse remember I'm interested. I try to avoid buying things through the web because shipping costs are so high, but from the UK to Belgium should be affordable. If not : I swim over to collect it !
You can PM me for details.
Thanks !
Jan
Vietnamodels
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 01:28 AM UTC
Dave and Jan,

Check your e-mails for details of the M578 conversion.

Thanks

Andy
http://www.vietnamodels.com
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2002 - 04:25 AM UTC
Jeff,

I sent you a Personal Message.

Matt
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2002 - 09:00 AM UTC
Hey Marcel can you connect me with the guy who has the kit with missing turret. I've got a full kit but it was started. I f your contact has a comlete PE fret I might be interested.

Josh Weingarten
aKa shiryon
 _GOTOTOP