_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Small Scale
Dioramas of subjects smallers than 1/32 scale.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Urban dio
Kancali
Vendor
KANCALI
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 03:10 PM UTC
This dio was an exercise to test the end results of a few techniques and see if maybe doing something of a larger scope would be worthwhile.
The Ketten... is a 1/72nd from Tamiya Ground vehicle set.
The figs are Hasegawas German infantry attack group.
The main brick structure is a 1/87 DPM building kit.
I hacked apart the resin DPM kit ( note some harsh cuts in the walls) and added the second story with a layered combination of styrene and cardstock.
All 3 figures were posed by kitbashing the figure set.
I like the ground level effect of the rubble but the upper levels of the structure dont really represent the rubble on the the ground so some preplanning would have helped.
Ive seen alot of posts lately on small scale modeling and in particular inquiries on scale differences.. so note the difference in the building scale and the vehicle/figure scale. This dio has 2 differing scales so it might help on some decision making. Depending on the project you might be able to mix some scales for a decent effect.
As always comments and critique welcome:.. and more pics of this dio are in my photos under small scale urban. seeya chris

SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 535 posts
Armorama: 161 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 03:24 PM UTC
LOL Now I know I did trains to long ... I saw that and thought ... hey that looks just like a 1/87 (HO Scale) building from DPM (Design Preservation Models). They make some nice buildings. Wish we could get them to do 1/72 or even runes in 1/35.

Nice Dio, real nice.
Kancali
Vendor
KANCALI
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2004 - 01:35 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply. Yeah DPM makes some really nice buildings and its hard to stay away from them when doing 72nd scale modeling. Doesn't seem fair that they make so many options and none in 72nd.
Ive tried to make some dios in 72nd with a fully built DPM but they dont match up too well. Im thinking that destroying them and using lots of rubble can ease the differences in scale.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2004 - 01:47 PM UTC
You have a guy firing form the back of the Kett, which means he has a target. If he has one, so does his target. He is very exposed and the driver is, too, but appears to be just motoring along. Creates an incongruity. Otherwise, this looks fine.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2004 - 03:56 PM UTC
The Kettenkraft might be going backwards, with the soldier giving covering fire.... :-)

Cheers
Henk
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 535 posts
Armorama: 161 posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2004 - 04:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the reply. Yeah DPM makes some really nice buildings and its hard to stay away from them when doing 72nd scale modeling. Doesn't seem fair that they make so many options and none in 72nd.
Ive tried to make some dios in 72nd with a fully built DPM but they dont match up too well. Im thinking that destroying them and using lots of rubble can ease the differences in scale.

DESTROY DPM MODELS ..... I'm not sure that is legal! I'm sure it violates some law somewhere.

Dave
Kancali
Vendor
KANCALI
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 02:36 AM UTC
AJ- point taken on your post in regards to guy firing from the Kett. My thoughts were he is just covering as they go around the corner, however I see your point and looking at the placement maybe i can turn the front wheel and chop and turn the driver head to add some more action. Ive already cut the driver down so hes in a more tilted, hunkered position. Thanks for the input. Seeya Chris
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 11:04 PM UTC
well i dont understand how u can see this lil thingies to get them done so well.
Nice try and nice colouring techniques and choices. I like it all over.
 _GOTOTOP