Woodland Scenics Water
Pavka
Visit this Community
Krakow, Poland
KitMaker: 58 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 10:48 AM UTC
Hello
Can anybody tell me about water produced by Woodland Scenics. Is it good to make water effects. How make the movements of water etc. I want to create a vignette with German Pontoon based on this famous picture

Best regards
Pavka
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 12:37 PM UTC
Ive never used woodland scenics water but make sure you get the Easy Water that poors straight from the bottle and not the stuff you have to melt. Easy Water should be rather easy to use. Now to make movements in the water you will need Water Effects I have used this and it works great. I would get there Scenery Manual also it will help alot. Any more questions just ask.
bodymovin
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 04:48 PM UTC
the bad thing aboiut the mirror idea is that it wouldnt get the distorted image that u get in rippled water
ian
CRS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 09:18 PM UTC
Woodland Scenics "Realistic Water", as good as it is, is not good for getting the subtle movement effect in the photo due to the fact that it is "self leveling". You may be able to create the effect with the addition of their "Water Effects" but I think a resin / epoxy solution is more what you are looking for here.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 09:31 PM UTC
i had to second CRS here i think epoxy resin is the best solution to water problems after all.It has fumes and all but it makes super water

Costas
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2004 - 10:32 PM UTC
Nope - don't do it. I haven't heard much good about WS water.
Go with resin, or

check this thread
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/39810&page=1
Pavka
Visit this Community
Krakow, Poland
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 01:52 AM UTC
ok guys
thank you very much
Regards
Pavka
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Armorama: 1,174 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 12:56 PM UTC
you can always use future... i think i read soemwere that some peopel use it

Frank
bbtoys
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 46 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 12:58 PM UTC
It seems that the the river is so dark and muddy that to replicate it you can actually use any appropriate (non transparent) material (caulk/mastic?) and then just paint and varnish as needed. You can then put several layers of varnish and tint each one for the illustion of depth.

Also I remember that Richard Windrow's terrain book has lots of good information about it. Or is it Shep Paine's book on dioramas?
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 11:13 AM UTC
As someone who does a LOT of water work in dio's I can tell you it takes a lot of different products depending on the need...here are a few suggestions:

Deep Water - Envirotex EZ Pour is the best thing on the market. Can also be colored with thinned acryllics to give shade effects. I have made water up to 3 inches deep (8 scale feet of water) with no yellowing, chipping, or shape problems.

Wet Effect - for something like the effect of wet pavement, go with FUTURE... excellent for a thin sheen of shiny wetness... not good for deeper water as it will both yellow and shrink over time... and the more you use, the more the negative effect.

Ripples - Scenic Woodlands WaterEffects is truly a super product. Comes out looking like ultra thick white glue, but really holds it's shape and dries very clear. Excellent for ripples in a pond, or water fountain.

Waves/Surf - I create my base water, then use white plaster of paris to create the whitecaps... use a stipple brush to get the bubbly effect of a strong surf or wave surge.

As for a reflective surface with distortion, try using a thin sheet of aluminum foil, placed over some wet tissue... this will give a distorted mirror effect... but you must experiment first to make sure it provides the true effect you want. I did one of an officer in a street scene looking downward at his reflection (titled "Reflection of War")... I used a thin strip of aluminum foil, coated with a few layers of colored envirotex... it came out wonderfully.

Hope this helps!
boosahmer
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 651 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 11:48 AM UTC
Pavka,
This is an example of Woodland Scenics water and their Realistic Water, for ripples. Judge for yourself. I have never had any problems with it.
Pavka
Visit this Community
Krakow, Poland
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 09:07 PM UTC
Keith thank you very much for such comprehensive advisory
Booshammer beautiful water effect, thank you
Your help is invaluable
Thank you guys
Best regards
Pavka
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,571 posts
Armorama: 764 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 10:58 AM UTC
I have used the easy water from ws. Just pour and let it set up. It took a couple of days for mine to set up but it looks great.
Mike

PS This water comes in a bottle and you just opent the bottle and pour..
Klown
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 09:44 AM UTC
I only want to make some smallish puddles, what would be the best option for me?
Quicksilver
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 06:05 PM UTC
DON'T use the melt in a bag stuff, it sucks! Use the realistic water or use Bar Top Sealer from your DIY. Then use a product called Water Effects for the ripples. This will be white when you apply it but then it dries clear. I have been in terrain building for 15 years and this is the best stuff I have found yet.

Quicksilver
MiamiJHawk
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 11:53 AM UTC
hello Second Louie Pavka:

I just started finding out about Armorama and saw your post of December 9, 2004. I read some of the responders remarks and do not agree with them about Woodland Scenics water products not being a good cholce. I have both of their water products. One is called Realistic Water, It is clear and dries clear. I mix food coloring in it to make the water murky or whatever. It finds it's own level. They suggest you pour only 1:8th inch, let that dry and pour another layer, etc. The other product is Water Effects. It is white and dries clear. I mix food coloring with it too. It is thick so you can put it over the top of the hardened Realistic Water and make waves, ripples, or what ever. If you are still interested send me a note and I'll go into more detail. Also WS has a web site that explains all they products and how to use them. They don't mention the food coloring, I believe. The site is:

www.woodlandscenics.com

I would be happy to help if it isn't too late. Clear Resin is great for water and can be tinted, BUT, . . . But, it produces a great deal of heat and can melt plastic that doesn't have a protective coating over it, i.e. you pontoon boat in the water.

Good luck
SlapHead
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 291 posts
Armorama: 184 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 08:25 PM UTC
Hi guys....a comment on Water effects....

In relation to pouring resing....I concur....the cold pour stuff is horrid !!

But there are two types of Mix resin....the type that cures by a chemical/heat reaction...as said above take care it used in thick section OR if there is a lot of contact between it and the model....the Other type is the epoxie type such as what I regard as the best....Solid Water from Delux....you DO NOT have the same danger...it cost more however...

I also coat it well after it has cured with Future/Kleer to keep the fingerprints/dust at bay and to make it easy to keep dust free...

Below are some water effects I have done in the last year using Solid Water. together with other materials. I .hope they inspire...its such fun to work with water...I just love it

warzone
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 35 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 - 01:49 PM UTC
hi pavka its best to try out some of the ideas from the members first they will send you on the right track im doing a scene with water but waiting for bits & bobs sorry i cannot help you my son but good luck mateyyyyyyy warzone

militarymodelmaker
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 16,777,215 posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 - 04:15 PM UTC
Wow, Im building the same diorama, I was going to use the woodland scenic's realistic water, And when it starts to stiffen up, go at it with a toothpick and shape the small ripples.
militarymodelmaker
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 16,777,215 posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 - 05:22 PM UTC
Actually, im going to use realistic water for several layers of 1/8", then glue the boat to it, then apply water effects around and under the boat, and use a toothpick to ripple it
thewrongguy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 448 posts
Armorama: 306 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 02:23 AM UTC
Have you checked out Woodland Scenics instructional video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1BX4OI9rtk

Interested to see how your vignette works out.

Cheers

Jeff
Wisham
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2012 - 05:07 PM UTC
Woodland is the best by far. Be sure to watch the videos on how to. Be sure to have fun!
Warren
 _GOTOTOP