_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
PHOTOS: ON-DISPLAY
  Entering Germany
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 07:17 AM UTC
Another Russ Sharp aka "SAS" diorama for jour enjoyment !

Russ Sharp is a very talented builder who pleased us more than once with pictures of his high quality dioramas. Again he decided to submit new pictures of a couple of his creations. The pictures of his dioramas are definately worth a visit, so enjoy " Entering Germany " : American push into Germany meets with stiff opposition.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
RIMA
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 07:25 AM UTC
this one is seriouly excellent the details are great, this is truly an inspiration
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 08:13 AM UTC
Looks good, my only comment is that it looks a little strange to me that some soldiers seem to be in battle (like the .50cal gunner) and some seem to take a break (behind the .50cal gunner)

But besides that, the diorama, the figures and the models look great. I hope I can make them like that some day!

Grt
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 08:24 AM UTC
I'm kind of in the same boat as Martinnnn here...
The construction & detail in this dio are top-notch, sas is clearly skilled far beyond my abilities. However, the Composition of the dio seems a bit off. I see two distinct moods within metres of eachother. The .50 gunner, the mortarmen, and at least two riflemen are engaged in desperate battle, while the rest, especially the men in the Beep and the building appear to be taking tea...

Also, I'm a bit perplexed as to the directions. Normally a sign is placed in front of a traveller as they approach a destination. If these GI's are entering Germany, why is the sign behind them, facing INTO Germany? If the sign is IN Germany, then these guys are firing BACK along there route of advance...

Not trying to sound too negative here. I really like his work, just hope to help him build on this fantastic foundation.
sas
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 256 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 09:24 AM UTC
Hi guys,
First I would like to thank Danny and Armorama for this the fine work they are doing and for this showcase of my work,thanks very much guys.
Second,thanks guys for the comments. This being the main route into the first German township across the border onto German soil I thought it would be a great way to portray the American spearhead Army in an all out push to enter Germany.So yes we have signs up,we have a jeep going the opposite direction and we have a bottleneck of action with soldiers in the rear having tea.My idea was that the American forces did in fact cross the bridge well into the rest of the town but were forced back to where the tea todlers are putting up signs and generaly having a good time. Now you have mass coffusion and not so much organization.
Anyways,that was the idea,but those who do know me know that I tend to put alot of stuff into a small area to create a setting.
Thanks for your comments guys and gals.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 11:49 AM UTC
Typically 'Sharp' Russ. There is never an SAS diorama without a story, whereas mine are just display bases for the vehicles. Plenty of detail to keep the viewer busy for hours!
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 641 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 11:54 AM UTC
Another biggie from Russ, and alot of detail this time around. Didn't really notice all of the "action" and "resting" themes, I was too busy just staring at the whole piece. Great stuff! (Now, just gotta get mine to start lookin like that....) :-)
sas
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2004 - 03:24 PM UTC
You two don`t need any more coachin,your already there, ya just gotta put it altogether! Thanks guys.
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 01:25 AM UTC
Checking posts,in the last 5 minutes,I saw 2 dioramas from SAS and I can say I will remember the name Russ Sharp from now on.
nice story and very nice diorama.congrats Russ
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 02:32 AM UTC
Russ I applaud you!! Two excellent dios. Cheers Kevin
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 576 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 03:53 AM UTC
You give us all something to aspire to Russ. Now would you stop it already!! You are making me look bad here!! :-) :-) :-) :

J/K! Great work!
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 987 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 08:38 AM UTC
WOW! Fantastic diorama - very inspiring work. I only wish the pictures were in focus a little more so I could get closer to this excellent piece of work - are those the old Tamiya figs? If so you have proved that with a little TLC they can look really good even in today.
sas
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 08:48 AM UTC
Thankyou very much for the comments guys,very nice!
It is my intention by sharing my work with you all to promote this hobby specially to the younger and upcoming modelers,to ask questions on how we do things and to keep pluggin away at your projects and not give up. Putting something together from plastic,wood or metal is the best hobby in the world!
Thanks again guys!
sas
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 09:06 AM UTC
Ok Bowjunkie,lol,I`ll cool it,this limelight stuff is a little much for me,lol! Glad you liked the dio.
Vadster,lol,yes there are a few very old Tamiya figures in there,I tend to make use of everything no matter how crappy some pieces are,sure I would`ve liked to use some better figures but on a fixed income ya use what ya got! Thanks for the interest and by the way that`s pretty cool pickin that out,excellent!
Verboten
Visit this Community
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
KitMaker: 202 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 10:01 AM UTC
That diorama is unbelievable. The detail is amazing and the figures are great. SAS, you are truly a gifted person
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 10:57 AM UTC
Hang in here guys....more work from SAS coming up very, very soon.
 _GOTOTOP