_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
removing molded tools
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 06:06 AM UTC
what' s the least intrusive (damaging) and effecient manner of removing tools etc already molded on the tank. Ex. shovels, jacks.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 06:09 AM UTC
Ahhh Don Corelone - are you trying to save them (like remounting them on the kit) or just trying to get rid of them?

If you're going to ditch them - then I recommend a flush cut bit and a Dremel tool. It takes a little practice, but with the flush cut bit you can cut the tool away without beating up the model.

Gunnie
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 07:12 AM UTC
Hey Pisano'

I have a great little Xacto knife with a small curved edge. It is great for small short scraping jobs such as these, but it will/does require practice. You do not want to ahve the gouge lines showing.

My 2¢ kitbitz.

Dave
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 10:04 AM UTC
I have a chisel tool from Micro Mark that does an excellent job of removing unwanted protusions from a plastic model. You won't be able to reuse the items, but the chisel does minimal damage to the basic surface.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 10:36 AM UTC
Depends on the thickness and location for me if its fairly large I'll go with the dremel tool and proceed down to sanding sticks. for tighter spots or delicate areas the xacto knfe comes in to play followed by fine sanding with those sticks.

Josh WEingarten
Aka shiryon
 _GOTOTOP