_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Pre 'Nam Guntrucks
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 10:42 PM UTC
One of the really enjoyable things about doing research for a project is finding stuff you weren't looking for! You're probably wondering "What the heck is he talking about?"
Well, allow me to tell you. While doing some more research for my Guntruck build-up I came across some very interesting versions of earlier Guntruck's prior to the 'heyday' of the 'Nam Guntruck's. I found one built on a 3T Bedford truck chassis w/ two Vicker's MG's, and what looks like a Bofor's gun rear-facing, and another fine Guntruck example where almost the entire truck chasis carried a concrete pillbox w/ gun ports!

Was curious if anyone else has seen these, and other examples of what would be called 'Guntruck's'??

Tread.

Pipe up here anytime Gunnie!
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 01:00 AM UTC
I'm guessing you mean the British Armadillo

and Bison

that were constructed following the Dunkirk evacuation.

Then there was the 6pdr/57mm armed Deacon that was based on an armoured AEC Matador
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 01:26 AM UTC
Tread - here's a couple of pics I have that I've been researching a little bit. I have not found historical photographic evidence supporting this employment - but what's modeled here is reasonable to me. The ancestor of the Quad AA Trucks pressed into service during the Vietnam War can trace their lineage all the way back to the close of WW II. Artillery units are reported to have mounted these weapons on the GMC CCKW's in the same fashion as they were done on Deuces and 5-ton all the way through the 1950's and into the Vietnam War.

I'm considering doing one of these CCKW's myself once I find more historical reference...

Gunnie
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 02:14 AM UTC
I wonder if the israely didn't armor and arm trucks and cars to protect their convoys against palestinian attacks during their independence war... that could make an interesting model... #:-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 08:39 AM UTC
Yes!, ukgeoff...those are precisely the vehicle's I was talking about. I just find those so interesting! And they wouldn't be that hard to build either. Pretty much flat panels.
Hmmmm, something to think about.

Many thx ukgeoff.

Tread.

P.S. I also like the 'Deacon', bizarre looking vehicle. Heck, if I saw that thing coming down the road I'd run for the hills before they had to fire a shot! #:-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 08:44 AM UTC
Thx Gunnie for the pics of the CCKW. I didn't know they were built that way! Very nicely done model too. Curious, from the pics it looks like the quad set-up is a separate unit from the truck itself, and has a set of wheels attached! Is that what you see?
Intriguing concept.

Tread.

P.S. I've also been reading about the different halftrack configurations too.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 08:45 AM UTC
PenPen, since the IDF are amoung the 'royalty' when it comes to creative armour variations, I'd say you make a good point.

Tread.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 09:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thx Gunnie for the pics of the CCKW. I didn't know they were built that way! Very nicely done model too. Curious, from the pics it looks like the quad set-up is a separate unit from the truck itself, and has a set of wheels attached! Is that what you see?
Intriguing concept.

Tread.

P.S. I've also been reading about the different halftrack configurations too.

Yes - the artillery guys mounted a winch in the front of the cargo bed (most of the time) and hauled the entire towed Quad Trailer up into the cargo bed. Sometimes the wheels were taken off the Trailer, sometimes not. This practice continued throughout deployment with more modern vehicles during the Vietnam War.

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP