_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sd.Kfz 181 VI (P)
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 12:21 AM UTC
I just received Dragon kit 6210, Sd.Kfz 181 Panzerkampfwagen VI (P). It looks great. I am not much of a builder of WW II German armor, but this baby is unique. See a detailed first look review of her on PMMS. I got mine through Hobbylink Japan (great people) and will start it after the Holidays. Nice kit.....I just need to buy a metal gun barrel.
DJ (:-)
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 02:53 AM UTC
Hi, I agree totally. A very nice kit indeed. Picked mine up last week end at the local hobby store. The guy there had 5 of them in stock when he opened around 10:00. I got there around 11:30 and he had only one left, so this is going to be a fairly popular kit I think.

Like you I'll get a replacement barrel for it, plus some generic Zimmerit from the Cavalier folks to add as well. And a set of Fruil early model white metal track links to top it all off.

But for now it's sitting in the closet with a couple other new Dragon kits I've picked up the last couple of months, gathering dust and cat hair, most likely till spring rolls around. Hopefully by then I'll have Trumpeter's T-34 and Morser Karl done. But that's not a sure thing.

Good luck and take care, Sgirty
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 04:24 AM UTC
Can you tell me more about the Cavalier Zimmerit? I need something to go on her and that sounds very interesting.
thanks
DJ
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 06:56 AM UTC
Hi, Have used the Cavalier stuff a couple of times and it looks pretty good. And since it's a whole lot easier for me personally to do instead of trying to carve it out of putty or use a hot knife, that's what I go with if I want the Zimmerit effect.

It comes in very thin resin sheets that almost has a 'see through' effect to it, so it tends to break apart quite easily. I've glued it on with CA, but I think that using epoxy would be better as this way it gives a person that extra 'time' they need to make sure that it's on in just the right position before drying. Since there's no Zimmerit designed for this particular vehicle I'm going to have to get a set of the 'generic' zimmerit and cut out my own to fit.

I also usually rough up the backside of the resin pieces lightly to give them some 'tooth' so they stick better to the plastic. Don't know if this is necessary or not, but I heard it's better to do it this way.

I see that both VLS and Roll Models carry the Cavalier Zimmerit kits, but Roll appears to be around $3 cheaper that VLS. Hope this helps.

Take care, Sgirty
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 07:26 AM UTC
Guys,
Our very own Alpen also does Cavalier Zimmerit in his online store. Also I have some Cavalier horizontal pattern zimmerit here for a Panther G which I'm going to try putting on with satin varnish. I used this before when putting eduard pe zimmerit on my DML Elefant and it seems to have worked very well.
Pete
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 07:40 AM UTC
Sgirty/Pete-- so what do you recommend I purchase to do the hull and turret area. I am a Sherman builder and this is all new to me, so please bear with the questions.
thanks again
DJ
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 07:53 AM UTC
DJ
I would go with the Cavalier Genetic zimmerit unless you want to hold fire til someone actually does zimmerit specifically for the Dml Tiger P.I know Accurate Armour do a complete conversion for the Italeri Tiger P but have no idea whether it could be used on the Dml Kit.
Pete
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 09:38 AM UTC
HI, 210cav: You could always get the set for Dragon's Ferdinand/Elephant for the bottom area, and most likely it would work on this kit, but that still leaves you with the turret. And even if you would buy a Zimmerit set for a Tiger, most likely it's not going to fit anyway near on this particular kit's turret. So like Stormbringer says, the generic style would be the best bet if you have to have it now.

The only bad part of the generic stuff, which I just thought of, is cutting this stuff to fit that turret and hull front, parts A-4, A-16, and C-14. Some small areas here. And also around those side view slits on the turret as well.

When a purpose made Zimmerit kit comes out for this particular model, and I would have to say that it most likely will here before too long, the Zimmerit will be molded to allow for all these details, not to mention that area on the turret's rear where those extra links and Pz. IV stowage box goes. And I would also guess that in this new Zimmerit kit there will be resin pieces with the Zimmerit molded onto them to replace the kit parts for A-4, A16 and C-14 . At least this has been my experience in the pass with other Zimmerit add-ons.

The only bad part about it is the wait and not knowing when this particlar add-on kit is going to hit the market. Most likely next spring at the earliest would be my guess, or hopefully, earlier.

Take care, Sgirty
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 10:26 AM UTC
I really can't wait to get my hands on this kit....yeah the zimmerit is a pain but I'll use my good ol tube of Tamiya putty to do that...Apparently the turret is not the right one for this particular tiger (P) and it has now been shown to of had an escape hatch and not a second pistol port ..But hey we can't blame Dragon on this one as up until recently everyone thought it was an initial turret. Even Jentz was sure until a picture showed up showing the hatch...There is also some concern about the height of the vision slits on the forward part of the turret ..They seem lower on this turret...There was a discussion about all this on Missing-Lynx a few weeks back ...You should take a look at their findings ..

Rick
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 11:03 AM UTC
Rick-- this is so cool a model, your mouth waters while you pray that you do not screw it up. I am willing to wait until Cavalier or some other reputable dealer comes up with a specific zimmerit for this babe. I would go the green putty route, but I am a novice with the German armor. However, I see Discount Models has the Elephant zimmerit kit for $16. Nice alternative until the specific add-on comes out. What do think?
DJ :-)
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 12:06 PM UTC
Nope I wouldn't bother if I were you as the hull sides on the elephant have tose big bolts on them and this Tiger didn't have that ...Your best bet is to wait for a set to come out specifically for this kit ...(front's not the same either.)

Rick
 _GOTOTOP