_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Which is the better centurian
Sapper131
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 10:37 AM UTC
Hi all.
Ive just bought a modelcraft centurian MK3 off of ebay which upon inspection has the academy stamp on the lower hull. I also have the Tamiya offering in the same 1/35 scale and i want to convert 1 into an AVRE as the only production model of this particular kit is by Accurate Armour and way out of my price range. Can anybody tell mr which is the better kit so that i can use the poorer 1 for my conversion?

Just out of interest, does anybody know if there is ever gonna be a Centurian AVRE produced in injection plastic?

Thanks guys (and girls).
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 10:42 AM UTC
they are all reboxed copies of the very old tamiya kit.

and on the question of a plastic AVRE.........

very unlikely, but bronco models are apparently going to produce a new plastic centurion so if an AM conversion appears for this it would certainly be cheaper than the AA one

regards

joe
AVRE165
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 145 posts
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2004 - 11:39 AM UTC
hi

ok lets answer your question with out going into it to far.

Yes there might be both a plastic & another resin in due course date Unkown years i should think.

ok

you can do the easy way or the hard way.

easy way. you can use the kit to build a Centurion AVRE which would look like one but not accurate

Buy a AA Dozer blade, Fascine Cradle & Tow hook ,Flui track, Centurion etch from Eduard allof the sets , leaves just the rear Decks to change and the rear fuel tank,co drivers hatch and rear basket and of course the 165mm to scratchbuild.

Hard way. you will have a Accurate model

scratch build the hull use AA suspension & wheels, Sprocket housings, Flui track & Tamiya, Use a Lgends Turret or if you are really clever take that centurion turret build the basic shape, cut in half in its length add a 80 thou strip and rebuild the whole turret shape by adding 40 thou to the sides. ( or just buy a AA turret)

CATCH

you need to decide the following, when period, Turret type.
when = 60's to late 70's ,Motorman, 70's to 1992 or Gulf.

Turret type. they have had all three types of turret, Mk3 like tamiya kit, mid Mk3 same shape but no escape hatch but all the other mods
or finaly a Mk 5 Turret

let me know what you want i have everything but the Kitchen sink.

By the way you will need a very good email address & not hotmail, does not like my large emails ( iam on broadband)

ossie

p.s only tank to have Five round in the air going down the range at five differant targets.
1 just about to hit, 2,3,4 in the air 5 leaving the barrel
seen it for real 1976
makes a real mess of a tank.

_GOTOTOP