_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Artillery shell Identification
brno465
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 02:19 PM UTC
I was wondering if anyone can help identify a shell casing I was given. A mate of mine got it at an auction, any knowing I liked this sort of thing gave it to me, but the people selling it had no info on it.

It is marked: 76/62
LOT 5 . BPD . 86
M6+2
It is 76mm calibre and the case is 620mm long from the web at the top of the case head, to the end, and has a gentle taper with no pronounced shoulder.

Any info would be gretly appreciated :-)
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 08:42 PM UTC
Found afew places you might lookhttp://web.ukonline.co.uk/stephen.johnson/arms/

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Base/1852/Headstamp.html . But I think it is British heck could be wrong If I find it I will repost
brno465
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2002 - 05:06 AM UTC
Thanks for the links sgtreef.
My lack of success in identifying it would appear to be because I was looking in the wrong places. I had just assumed it would be field artillery, but I eventually found reference to a naval weapon.
"76/62 automatic gun for multirole application. Best performances against sea-skimming missiles and all fast manoeuvering targets. 80 ready-to-fire rounds. Rate of fire: 120 rds/min. Now also available in stealth version."
It is installed on Oz 'Oliver Hazard Perry' Class FFGs, and was first used on US Navy ships in1978.
No wonder I couldn't find a tank or field gun that fired it..........
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2002 - 09:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the links sgtreef.
My lack of success in identifying it would appear to be because I was looking in the wrong places. I had just assumed it would be field artillery, but I eventually found reference to a naval weapon.
"76/62 automatic gun for multirole application. Best performances against sea-skimming missiles and all fast manoeuvering targets. 80 ready-to-fire rounds. Rate of fire: 120 rds/min. Now also available in stealth version."
It is installed on Oz 'Oliver Hazard Perry' Class FFGs, and was first used on US Navy ships in1978.
No wonder I couldn't find a tank or field gun that fired it..........

Cool live and learn is the only way. Glad you found it
 _GOTOTOP