_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
MIG or MMP
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 533 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 03:10 AM UTC
http://www.ww2modelmaker.com./modelpages/JDspraymmp.htm

the above link to ww2modelmaker has a great article about using MMP powders..

now i'm wondering... which is more better? MMP or MIG? or...home made ? or some other brands?

i long wanted to try weathering with powders
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 04:59 AM UTC
I honestly don't think there is anything to choose between any of the various brands of weathering powders. (Pauses for a moment and adjusts his body armor and ensures the strap on his helmet is tightened..) ... Sorry about that, you could try making your own powders. One word of caution however - there are some chalk pastels sold, which have wax as part of their composition -these will grind down, but not as well - they should b eable to advise you in a local arts supply store...Jim

Now, for the next question about Etch-folding tools.....
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 05:12 AM UTC
Nothing against MIG or other pigments. I can only say that at local art craft stores I can buy a 250 grams jars of any colour pigments for a fraction of the cost of a 10 grams jarr of the ones that you buy at hobby shops...
Ciao
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,009 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 05:35 AM UTC
One thing to remember above all. NO matter what you choose as long as it works for you its the best for you. Now with that said. I suggest you pick mig or MMP as they are made from 100% pigments. Chalk pastels are not 100% pigments. They are made from the pigments but have alot of additives so the percentage of colour in the stick is much less. . Pigment powders are more flexible and can be used in alot of different applications that IMHO chalk pastels can not. SO just bare that in mind. I would suggest getting a couple of each then deciding for yourslef.
Cheers,
Bryan
Invader
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 37 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 06:15 AM UTC
i think home made powders are the best alternative.they are cheaper,you can decide on the quantity of powder you want,you can make the exact color of powder you want,and of course,they are more avilable than company-made powders
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 09:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

you could try making your own powders.

I have done this, but it is not the same as pigment powders. It works, but I have also used Mig and they work better because as ex-royal says the chalk pastels have other things added to them. I compared the chalk and mig side by side and you can see a difference. If your going to use them wet or try and air brush them with a liquid of some type, I would say stay away from the chalk. That being said I have used chalk and it does work, but won't do it again after using Mig powders

I have not tried MMP before, but would like to hear from someone who has used both Mig and MMP to see if they are equal or one is better. I do know that MMP has a better color selection, but you can mix them to make whatever you want so that may not be much of an issue.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 09:31 AM UTC
Hi, Have used the MIG powders on the Trumpeter T-34/43 and was well pleased with them. Of course these are the only weathering powders that I have tried, so I can't say if they would or would not be better than MMP or any others out on the market. Probably not.

I will say that once you get those MIG powders ground into the paint they most definitel are there to stay, and are very hard to rub off. Now I haven't tried spraying any type of sealer on them to see if they will fade out like chaulk pastels are supposed to do. But then as hard as they are to come off I had no need to seal them in.
And even though the jars are pretty small, there's enough pigment in each bottle to do quite a few models.

I also see that MIG has 2 or 3 sets of pigment colors out now for specific uses, like their newest one 'Fresh Mud' and they come with a booklet that is supposed to show a step-by-step application process. But I haven't tried this yet.

Good luck with which ever you choose. Take care, Sgirty
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 533 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 04:23 AM UTC
Thanks people for the feedback!
 _GOTOTOP