_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
How do you make mud?
gladwell
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 06:53 PM UTC
Unless I overlooked it (possible, still trying to figure the forums out) there is nothing posted about how you guys make the mud on the tracks and hulls of your armor.

I love this look, and would like to put this Sherman into a vignette when I'm finished.
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 08:11 PM UTC
You can use weathering powders to make mud,they come in all colours,just mix with some thinner or water and brush it on you model http://www.ww2modelmaker.com/articlepub/MMP_Article/review.htm. http://www.migproductions.com/ hope this helps.
piwi
Visit this Community
Nord, France
KitMaker: 712 posts
Armorama: 558 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 11:54 PM UTC
Hi,

You've got a lot of way to make mud.
- Mix plaster with your paint
- use wood paste and apply it as a mastic
- Thin putty with acetone and aply it with an old brush

and so on...
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 12:33 AM UTC
James, just enter 'mud' in the Google search box (left below the 'frontgate' listings) and hit go... came up with 532 results a minute ago.

Cheers
Henk
ws48
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 01:57 AM UTC
For me the best substitute for "mud" is mud. I use top soil purchased from Lowe's sifted in a flour sifter. The finer top soil is added to a small amount of peat moss also sifted to add some brown color and texture. Then I add "grass" cut from a cheap natural bristle paint brush. One part white glue and one part part water is mixed and added to the dirt mix until it forms a paste. Brush it on in desired areas and let dry. Looks very realistic.
earwig61
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 188 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 11:43 AM UTC
If you want real basic, get some baby powder and mix some dark earth paint in with it. Get it where you want it and smudge brush it on. Another tip - with mud splashes, dab a toothbrush in dark earth paint and run your thumb against the bristles. The "mud" splashes the model very naturally as you release the bristles. You get a muddy thumb as a bonus! Good luck with whatever technique you use and invent one of your own!
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 318 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 01:27 PM UTC
https://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/506/4267mud_2.jpg" BORDER="0">

Lots of ways to do this. Mine is mix baking soda with paint-the more soda the thicker the mud.

Art
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 318 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 01:35 PM UTC
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 01:36 PM UTC
Keep in mind, when you do mix baking soda or plaster with paint (dont use plaster of paris, the chemical reaction turns it purpleish) buy lots of brown paints so you can cover up the white to the color you want. if you dont, it will be a very light brown and definatly unrealistic.
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 08:45 PM UTC
Don't you need lot's of paint for that methode? I mean....paint isn't cheap too!

I always mix plaster with stuff like static grass, sand, etc...everything I think is usefull.

btw, shouldn't this topic been posted in the diorama area?
Viking
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 05:10 AM UTC
Hi!
My method:
Dirt at the tracks and the lower hull can be represented very realistically with a mash made out of earth, sand, white glue, food soda, cut off brush bristles, static grass and brown acrylic colour (or at least water-based colour). After drying, this mass was drybrushed with a brighter brown dithering at selected places. A veil strongly diluted drab (70% thinner, 30% colour) sprayed onto the lower vehicle portions concludes painting. Only a sealing with silk matt laquer remains to be done.
My Stug III Ausf G got this kind of treatment.
 _GOTOTOP