Hosted by Darren Baker
Wal-Mart for scenery? Moss related!
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 576 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 04:35 AM UTC
Reading Francisco's post about the pine trees made me want to try my hand. First I had to figure out where in the hell around here I was going to get a craft whisk broom as our Ben Franklin craft store closed about 8 years ago. Fortunately we have a Wal-Mart Supercenter that has an extensive line of craft items.
Well, I didn't find the whisk broom, but I did find this!

Moss!! Big bags, different colors and cheap! They had other styles too.! Far less than what you will pay at a Hobby Shop. I paid a little over a buck and a quarter for each one of these bags and there is a lot of material. Threw my keys in there so you could get an idea of the size of the bags. Just a Heads-up.

Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Armorama: 810 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 06:04 AM UTC
Bowjunkie35 -

Thanks for the heads-up. My son-in-law works at Wal-Mart so withhis discount that should make this even a better deal. I've also found the same type and some different moses at "Michael's" Craft Store andthey have a large selection of cheap dried flowers that work well also. Should have enough to get my next couple dios going strong.Thanks again,

Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Armorama: 1,174 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 07:53 AM UTC
ive found some nice moss at the dollor store...
Frank
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Armorama: 383 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 04:53 PM UTC
That's weird Steve..I was looking at the exact type of items at my local Walmart not two hours ago!...I was looking to see if they had rubberized horse hair by some miraculous chance...I want something I can use for brush and what-not under larger bushes and hedgerows...
...I got a wild idea yesterday and pulled some Java Moss and Hair algae out of one of my larger fish tanks...I let it dry out and plan to see how it looks...it stays green once dry so it should be pretty convincing....the Java moss will look very good growing up a tree in a jungle setting...just another idea if you have access to some...I plan to harvest mine as it grows more now on...
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 535 posts
Armorama: 161 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 05:19 PM UTC
If you can get your paws on Spanish Moss it makes good vines and English Ivy. Java Moss works too but it tends to get brittle when it gets real dry. I would think from removing pound of it from my tank that you would need to form it while it is still damp then let it dry in place. And to think I've been putting it around potted plants for mulch.

Dave
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 09:25 PM UTC
U lucky people with all that stores on cheap ....nothing like these over here !!!!
Costas
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 576 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 02:34 AM UTC
Ahh, only modelers would think of growing aquatic plants for harvest to use for scenery in their dio's. I Love it! :-)
 _GOTOTOP