_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Firefly Vc (DML) Turret
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 08:42 PM UTC
Hi,

I'm currently building a Dragon DML kit 6182 and I'm just curious if there is still a need to add the bulge cheek for the turret? I read from the USArmymodels.com that the Tamiya and italeri shermans lack said cheek bulge.

Thanks
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 08:51 PM UTC
The turret in the kit is moulded with the thickened cheek cast in place, so you shouldn't need the additional piece. 'Carole', one of the subjects in the kit, certainly doesn't appear to be fitted with it in photos.
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 09:05 PM UTC
Thanks Dave for the input. Are there other tweaks that I should know of before I proceed?

Thanks again
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 09:15 PM UTC
I've built four DML shermans of various marks, and so long as you take care following the instructions on the bogies and lower hull etc. you should have no major problems.
I replaced the tracks on all of mine, but that's just personal preference as I don't like individual link tracks.
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 25, 2004 - 09:35 PM UTC
Thanks....I know what you mean about the track links... :-) ...I was shocked when I saw them....tooo many parts.......
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 08:59 AM UTC
Hi Arvin ...No you don't need to add the bulge to the turret as the type of turret they give us is the low bustle type...as for other tips for this turret well the barrel should be changed as it is too long ...Eduard make a great looking one ...There is also some work to do on the joint between the two parts of the turret something just doesn't look right ,but I haven't got that far into the build to really tell you what is wrong there.. Ask Bryan(ex-royal ) he just worked on this turret in his last project .. On the hull ..You need to lower the drive sprocket mount by about 4 mm to get the sprocket and the top of the bogies to line up straight.. The weld seams should be redone with styrene strips as the should not be deep but flush or even a bit raised.... There should also be an undercut under the bulges for the driver and radio operators hatches.
I'm saving this kit for a day when I have alot of patience..

Rick
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,009 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 09:28 AM UTC
Hi Arvin,
I built this kit a little while ago as Rick mentioned and he outlined the changes needed pretty well. I have a complete build article is this months AFV Modeller #20. PIck it up or download the PDF version for just one GB pound.
Cheers,
Bryan
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 09:32 PM UTC
hmmm...I'm not sure if I coud still change the barrel, because AM parts are hard to source out here. What I noticed about the two parts of the turret is that the second half (bottom) is smooth...don't know if I need to prime/roughen the surface.

I'm actually having a problem with the fitting for the final drive housing with the hull, it seems to be lower than the rest of the hull side.

Thanks
 _GOTOTOP