Help - Vietnam MUTT with 106mm RR..?
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 517 posts
Armorama: 290 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 02:15 PM UTC
Hi all,

I guess ( = hope) this is the right place to post this...

My local model shop has uncovered a few bits from the basement, all out and going cheap, including a Verlinden conversion for the old Tamiya MUTT M151A2 that puts a 106mm recoil-less rifle in the back of the thing.

Two questions - is it a good enough kit?
And did the US armed forces field 106mm RR fitted MUTTs in the Vietnam conflict?

(Yeah, yeah, I know I'd have to turn the A2 into an A1...)

Any help gratefully received.

acav out
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 03:07 PM UTC
I know that we had some RR on the old M-38 Jeep, M113 APC's and on the Mules. I have never seen them on a MUTT but I would assume that they were mounted on a MUTT A1. Do any of of Marine Bros from Nam Know if you Guys had them?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 05:00 PM UTC
Accuracy...I can't comment. I replaced the barrel with aluminum tube of the same size. Verlinden adds a bunch of unusably tiny bits of PE fo rth efloor. They can't be worked with or seen. The overall effect is good. Mine was doen up as a Marine MUTT in MERDC red desert scheme.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 12:54 AM UTC
Academy has a fairly new M151A1 w/recoilless rifle out. They run about $12 around here. Seems like a cheaper and easier way to go, plus the retooled M151 is a little better than the original Tamiya kit. It includes vinyl tires too.
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 517 posts
Armorama: 290 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 08:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Academy has a fairly new M151A1 w/recoilless rifle out. They run about $12 around here. Seems like a cheaper and easier way to go, plus the retooled M151 is a little better than the original Tamiya kit. It includes vinyl tires too.

Thanks for the heads up, sabot.

Think I'll leave the 'bargain' for someone else then and hang out for the Academy kit...

Currently deep in my reference material looking for photographic evidence of MUTTs with mounted 106mm RR in Vietnam, but so far nothin'...
I was planning on doing it as a USMC version, but without reference I'm just flyin' blind.
Interestingly, I think I've seen photos of MUTTs w/TOW launchers in some late war photos.

Which raises the next question -
Anybody know any good references for Vietnam softskins?
Or has that book yet to be written..?

acav out
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 09:21 AM UTC
Take a look here: http://www.tacticalblunder.com/g503/showphoto.php?photo=858&sort=1&size=medium&cat=568&page=1

I don't know where these picture were taken, but they are definitely from "Vietnam era".

Pawel
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 03:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Take a look here: http://www.tacticalblunder.com/g503/showphoto.php?photo=858&sort=1&size=medium&cat=568&page=1

I don't know where these picture were taken, but they are definitely from "Vietnam era".

Pawel

Some of the photos are of the Arizona National Guard. Some are of the 101 and 82nd AB in Korea and a few are from Nam. The ones with the RR are in Korea. The photos are all during the Vietnam Era, 1960's to mid 1970's.Thanks for posting these Pawel. I enjoyed looking at them.
thunderbolt
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 11:00 PM UTC
hej

Currently deep in my reference material looking for photographic evidence of MUTTs with mounted 106mm RR in Vietnam, but so far nothin'...

In the book "jeep goes to war" by William Fowler from Cougrage books is a photo of a "mutt" m151a1 with a 106 mm from the 173 airborne brigade in vietnam.

valle
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 - 04:14 PM UTC
I do not know if this combination was used in VN but at one time the Massachusetts Army National Guard had quite a few of them during the late '60's and well into the '70's. (Replacing the M38 Combo) It was not a very safe combination as the weight/height of the weapon combined with that new type suspension, made the vehicle prone to tipping over and in fact on my father's last AT with the MARNG, a vehicle did roll on a soft shoulder, killing two.

Quoted Text

i gotta agree with animal here, i don't remember seeing any pictorial or written info regarding this vehicle configuration but then again i could be wrong.

as for the parts...sorry don't know enough about them

You are wrong... you should leave the replies to those that do know something about and can contribute something to the subject being discussed!

|:(
 _GOTOTOP