_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Hobby Craft T-72?
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
Armorama: 692 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 06:44 AM UTC
Worth a flip? I can get one for cheap as long as I act quickly. Is it any good, any major headaches?
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 07:02 AM UTC
Personally I wouldn't bother Mike. The Hobbycraft kit is a rebox of the Trumpeter kit, which is a very poor copy of the Tamiya kit. If you want a T-72 go with Tamiya. If you're a stickler there is an accuracy problem with the turret (which can be fixed by purchasing an AM turret) otherwise it is a nice kit and it "looks" like a T-72 when it is built.

Mike
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 07:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Personally I wouldn't bother Mike. The Hobbycraft kit is a rebox of the Trumpeter kit, which is a very poor copy of the Tamiya kit. If you want a T-72 go with Tamiya. If you're a stickler there is an accuracy problem with the turret (which can be fixed by purchasing an AM turret) otherwise it is a nice kit and it "looks" like a T-72 when it is built.

Mike

I can somewhat accept the accuracy issue, but does it go together without any re-engineering? I can pick one up for 12$ at Hobby Lobby up here.

Was in the Warroom last week and noted the flyers indicating that they are moving.
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 987 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 07:16 AM UTC
as I can't speak for that particular kit - if it resembles anything close to the Hobby Craft "Bradlely OIF" AFV that I bought at HobbyTown - then AVOID IT. It went beyond accuracy issues - parts did not come remotely close to fitting - period. It was molded out of a plastic that was of a harder consistancy then that of a Tamiya kit - a total waste of money.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 07:54 AM UTC
I have built a couple of the Hobby Craft MiA1 kits and they are OK There are fit issues and they are re boxed old Trumpeter kits with all the old flaws. For $12.00 I guess it would be fun to assemble. It will give you a chance to try and correct the problems in the kit and improve you modeling skills.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 08:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I can somewhat accept the accuracy issue, but does it go together without any re-engineering?

I haven't built the kit myself but I have heard and read from others that the fit isn't good at all. Also as Vadster said the plastic it is made from is different than others. Sorry I can't explain any better than that but suffice to say the difference is not good. This was one of Trumpeters early kits and as such it is, again, a very poor kit. As Animal said you may find it fun to mess with...but then again you may not

Quoted Text

Was in the Warroom last week and noted the flyers indicating that they are moving.

Yeah, no word yet on where, he's still looking.

Cheers,
Mike
ws48
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 08:49 AM UTC
I won a Hobby Craft Challenger kit in a raffle at my model club. It cost me $3.00. After working on it for a couple of hours I put the lid on the box never to be opened again. Not even worth $3.00.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 09:13 AM UTC
The turret in the kit is crap, straight up. Everything else is essentially a copy of the Tamiya kit. Worth $12 for a conversion piece...needs the Eduard zoom set for the rear deck screens (they offer stickers...STICKERS! Sheesh.) and a new turret, obviously.

I used one to make a ficticious T-72 ROBAT similar to the US M1A1 Panther II. :-)
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 11:20 AM UTC
I bought one the er hull doesnt even match the hull deck leaing about 2mm of a step and the figure looks like a grey alien
the little icon is a pretty good match for his face
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 715 posts
Armorama: 297 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 07:44 PM UTC
The Hobby Craft models that I have seen and bought aren't worth the powder you would use to blow them up. A total waste of money and time IMHO.
warhog
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 398 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 02:47 AM UTC
Avoid it very poor copy of Tamiya kit!!!also fit terrible gave my copy to neighbor kid!!!now he want talk to me !!!!go figure?????good luck get tamiya if you research you can find it on ebay cheap!!!got one for $15......
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 02:50 AM UTC
Well, based on the above...I didn't buy it. Go figure! Hardly an endorsment for Hobby Craft.

Another question for all your Soviet armor gurus. Who has built Skif kits? Also, who has ordered from Hobby Terra? They have a Skif T-80UD for $14.00 and I was curious, is it worth it? What is Hobby Terra like to deal with?
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 02:58 AM UTC
What about Dragon's T-80UD or T-80 w/ERA? I'm seeing those for very cheap on ebay. What are those kits like?
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 07:41 AM UTC
And what is the primry difference between the T-80 w/ERA and the T-80UD? Looks as though the ERA is an earlier T-80 armor upgrade, the UD a more recent?
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 11:31 AM UTC
First off, you need to look at this page I created a while back:

http://members.tripod.com/mmfs0/reviews/t80/index.htm

That should answer most of your T-80 oriented questions.

woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 01:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

First off, you need to look at this page I created a while back:

http://members.tripod.com/mmfs0/reviews/t80/index.htm

That should answer most of your T-80 oriented questions.

Thanks, that's perfect. Now another question...who sells the Dragon T-80 kit? I gave up on eBay tonight having been outbid on both of the two that were up there.
nfafan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 01:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, that's perfect. Now another question...who sells the Dragon T-80 kit? I gave up on eBay tonight having been outbid on both of the two that were up there.

Lesson 1 - Never announce in any DG of a find on eBay unless you just want to post it as an FYI.

And despite all the ATGW's being fired at Trump kits, they sure seem to go QUITE FAST when offered cheap on eBay... Like you, gave up when the bidding hit the cost+shipping=Too Much threshold for my blood - but someone was happy with their now-not-so-cheap Trump T72.

Lesson 2 - Look here, you might agree that if picked up cheap, the Trump T72s at least look like T72s;

http://trumpeter.cool.ne.jp/Gallarie.html

Just my-2centavos
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 01:46 PM UTC
I won't fire an ATGW at a Trump T-72 because I haven't built one. I will be more than happy to unleash a MAD-FAE on the Hobby Craft rebox because, frankly, it sucks. I fought with it for about two weeks and it sits unfinished in the sturdy box because almost nothing on the hull fit together. And I don't give up easy...

Shaun
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 01:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Lesson 1 - Never announce in any DG of a find on eBay unless you just want to post it as an FYI.

I half thought that might be the issue as there were no bids prior to my morning posting. Though, that's a bit of a dick-move, isn't it? Well, I guess all's fair.

Though I don't think I can completely disregard all the negatives regarding the Trump/Hobby Craft T-72. The last thing I want is a frustrating model build. I've only given up on two models in my life time...Testor's Union rebox of a 1/24 Porsche 917K...and a T-72 kit. For the life of my I can't remember the brand, but let's just say I'm gun-shy.
nfafan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 04:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Though I don't think I can completely disregard all the negatives regarding the Trump/Hobby Craft T-72. The last thing I want is a frustrating model build. I've only given up on two models in my life time...Testor's Union rebox of a 1/24 Porsche 917K...and a T-72 kit. For the life of my I can't remember the brand, but let's just say I'm gun-shy.

Let me take a wild guess; it was the AMT/ERTL rebox of an ESCI T72. Right?

Bet I won the set of Ginzu steak knives!

From what I've seen of gallery pix on the Trump site, their T72 would be a 10-fold improvement over the AMT/ERTL clunker.
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2005 - 03:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Let me take a wild guess; it was the AMT/ERTL rebox of an ESCI T72. Right?

Bet I won the set of Ginzu steak knives!

From what I've seen of gallery pix on the Trump site, their T72 would be a 10-fold improvement over the AMT/ERTL clunker.

Could very well be right. Can't recall the issues, but in my mind and skill level at the time, it was unsalvageable.

As an FYI, I did end up winning the Dragon T-80UD last night. Was going to give up and then said the hell with that and upped my ante. As a further FYI, there is another Dragon T-80 up on eBay, this one is fair game now that I have mine :-) :

eBay T-80
 _GOTOTOP