_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
applying camo affect
Fuhrer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 04:49 PM UTC
how do you guys do your camo patterns? I am about do the panzer II, and I want to know how u guys do it,freehand or with precision cut masking tapearound the model.

BTW anyone know the colors for panzer II during desert campaigns?
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 06:36 PM UTC
Well, I use an airbrush. Usually the Afrikakorps didnt have a camo scheme. Their tanks were painted a sand color, or dunkleub braun. I am not sure, for Im not at my house and cant check the paint color right now. But I think this answered your question. Cheers
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
KitMaker: 986 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 07:13 PM UTC
for me, after spraying the base colour (e.g. dark yellow for german afv) i'll spray the camo colours using airbrush freehand, then later i'll overspray the base colur over the whole model to make the camo look soft & faded....
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
Armorama: 727 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 07:19 PM UTC
I spray my base color down first.

Let it dry.

Then go over freehand and paint my necxt camo color.

Let it dry.

Then paint my other camo color if needs be.

Also, I dont think that your Afrika armor was camoed that much. So what I am thinking is it should be a straight and simple color scheme.

~chip
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 576 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 07:20 PM UTC
Here is some useful info:

In North Africa, Dunkelgrau was of course not the best colour to apply, as was found out in the initial fighting. Therefore, in March 1941, it was decided to use RAL 8000 'Gelb-braun' (yellow-brown) or RAL 8020 'Braun' (Brown) as base colour. Over this was to be applied patches of RAL 7008 'Grau-grün' (grey-green) or RAL 7027 'Grau' (grey) by the crews as camouflage.

To represent "patches" you would want to free hand this pattern with and airbrush for the best effect.

Fuhrer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 - 11:20 AM UTC
when I said freehand i meant with airbrush. Had this ever happen to u guys where you freehand with the airbrush and dots of paint is out of the area of where you apply the camo effect? What do you do? I fear that if I were to try to do freehand camo effect for the first, that would happen.

Off topic: I just don't want to start a new topic, since I hope all you airbrush would be able to help me out here. Since I just started airbrushing a few days ago, and each time I end my session, I end up getting chest paints (usually near my heart) when I breath. Any idea how to prevent this? I open my window wide open and I work in my bed room (area of 1 1/2 king size room). Should I get a mask when I airbrush?
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 - 11:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Off topic: I just don't want to start a new topic, since I hope all you airbrush would be able to help me out here. Since I just started airbrushing a few days ago, and each time I end my session, I end up getting chest paints (usually near my heart) when I breath. Any idea how to prevent this? I open my window wide open and I work in my bed room (area of 1 1/2 king size room). Should I get a mask when I airbrush?

Not at all !!! What paint and thinner do you use? If you get chest pains you really need to look at how you work!! Acrylics are not as bad as enamels, but if you use enamels you really need an extractor which sucks the fumes out with an outlet to the outside ( as through the window via a tube). Just opening the window won't work!!
Fuhrer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 - 12:35 PM UTC
ok, this is more serious then I thought. What is this extactor machine called?
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 - 01:19 PM UTC
in simple terms, a large box, with an extractor fan, wher you would spray your models inside this box, and the fan sucks away the fumes. You can buy them, with filters and all, or make one yourself. There is an articel on the site somewhere explaining how to build one. Can't remember where to find it, but if you search with the google box you will find it( or someone smarter than me will post a link :-) )

Cheers
Henk
Fuhrer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 - 01:40 PM UTC
is this the article your reffering to ?
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/57

cause it say for non toxic fumes.
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 - 01:57 PM UTC
The article I saw used a plastic storidge container, but used much the same set up.. In the end you will need a 'box' with a means to extract and filter the air or otherwise you will find yourself looking at a pink Sherman firing at aardvarks whilst... ooops, time I stop using my airbrush for a while. :-) :-) :-)

Cheers
Henk
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 533 posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 - 04:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

when I said freehand i meant with airbrush. Had this ever happen to u guys where you freehand with the airbrush and dots of paint is out of the area of where you apply the camo effect? What do you do? I fear that if I were to try to do freehand camo effect for the first, that would happen.

hmmm maybe for the time being, use a face mask...

remember to switch on the fan too, make it rotate...airing yur room
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 07:10 PM UTC
Another alternative is to hand-brush a cross-hatch pattern in desert sand over a previous panzer grey base. The cross-hatch lines should be a scale 4 - 6 in. wide - about the width of a paintbrush you would paint your house with. Vehicles newly-arrived from Europe in the African Campaign were in their original panzer grey paint. Obviously sand camo paint was scarce as crews only partially repainted their vehicles, or even used mud to cover the grey!
bodymovin
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 07:30 PM UTC
I thought the vehicles in the afrika corps were grey because they were accidentally sent to africa while the sand colored ones went to russia....i might be wrong...but i remeber something like that
ian
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2005 - 03:54 PM UTC
Hmmm. You could be right. Some vehicles in Army Group South were painted in a sand color with a green or grey break-up pattern.
 _GOTOTOP