Roo's Heavy Hauler - UPDATE ONE
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 06:20 PM UTC
Well here is the first progress report.

Motor has been wired and fitted to the chassis. Radiator has been lengthened and is now in place. Grill has had the brass wire bars placed. These still have to have a little finishing done at the top and bottom. Radiator hoses are brass wire with a black rubber tube pulled over them.

Here is two pics the rest are in my gallery in the Heavy Haulers album. Cowl and grill are only temporarily in place for photos.

Any comments, or suggestions welcomed. Enjoy

sorry about the quality of the pics next lot will be better.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 - 08:57 AM UTC
Cliff
Looking great You really do pay attention to detail don't you? Have you had any problems so far?
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 - 09:05 AM UTC
Going to be another "rootrific" example from Down Under. I really enjoy viewing you work.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 - 09:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cliff
Looking great You really do pay attention to detail don't you? Have you had any problems so far?

Yes I had major problems getting the motor sitting down low enough. As I have no reference photos of a Ford of this model with the front sheet metal off it was a case of try and try again using the position of the aircleaner in relation to the firewall as a guide.

The photos show what was about the 10th go at getting it right. I rebuilt the two front crossmembers and installed them about 5 times as well and rebuilt the firewall recess as well. While this recess appears to me to be a little on the deep side by 1.5mm it will not really be noticeable once the front is finished.

Thanks for your comments guys.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 - 11:26 PM UTC
Well after 'finding' a new reference pic and studying old pics I already had again I have stripped the motor from the chassis and have moved everything including the grill backward by about 10mm (3/8 in).

Now this has solved most of my original problems except that I have to remake the radiator and also the front crossmember and engine mounts.

So once I have done that (and fixed the front axle that I broke in the process) it will be full speed ahead again.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 07:30 AM UTC
Really great Cliff, did you haft to start out with the clay until you got it right then made yourself a resin mold for that front end?
Kerry
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 07:53 AM UTC
Kerry I do not use clay. the grill is made right from the start with plastic pieces and added to or rebuilt as many times as need be.

In this case no mold was done as I decided this would be a one off for the moment.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 10:22 AM UTC
Looking at it now after you said that, it does look like it was wrapped around rather then molded. Now it has been a while sense I seen that picture, maybe it's the hood that is going to be a dandy, if I remember right, it was all rounded.

Then in that first picture I thought the hood and grill was all one piece, course I really couldn't get a good look, do you have the actual pictures, your working off of, and more of them, or you working off just that one that I seen?
Kerry
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 01:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Then in that first picture I thought the hood and grill was all one piece, course I really couldn't get a good look, do you have the actual pictures, your working off of, and more of them, or you working off just that one that I seen?
Kerry

Kerry I have about 50 pics in all. Some more of the original army photos and also a lot from the remains of one in South Australia which a friend took photos of for me. The major difference was it was a closed cab one and not a rag top like I wish to do. Front and chassis are the same though.

Chassis and front metal are also the same as the standard Ford 158inch wheelbase truck so I have a fair few pics of those as well.

Only the wheels and top of the cowl/windscreen frame are resin the rest is plastic.

Cheers
Cliff
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 01:44 PM UTC
Just took another look at your photos in the gallery. Is the chassis for this build cast resin or is it one of your scratch builds? I am getting anxious to see this one come together.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 02:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just took another look at your photos in the gallery. Is the chassis for this build cast resin or is it one of your scratch builds? I am getting anxious to see this one come together.

Only the wheels and the windsceen/ top of cowl are resin. The rest is all my very own bits of plastic.
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 03:56 PM UTC
Looking good cliff, I know you have been looking forward to this build for a while.........can't wait to see more pics.
 _GOTOTOP