Armor/AFV: Group Builds
Build a model with your online buddies!
Hosted by Darren Baker
Summer Group Build-Flame Throwers
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 04:21 AM UTC
Just bumping this up. I had a couple of inquires on whether this was going to be realized or not. I do plan on submitting the campaign proposal soon. There looks to be enough interest (more than 10) for this to be approved as an official campaign.

As usual, my rules would be simple. Any type of flame throwing device in any scale. It can be a traditional figure with a flame thrower, a flame tank, halftrack, or wheeled vehicle.

I'd even allow non-traditional flame throwing models such as a medieval archer with a flaming arrow, soldier tossing a Molotov cocktail, catapult with a flaming (simulated) projectile. Heck, if you wanted to do a fire-breathing dragon with wings, I'd say go for it.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 04:31 AM UTC
Every time the wife and I are watching one of those hack and slash horror movies where the future dead people are walking into the broken down shack full of chainsaw and axe wielding psychopaths I turn to her and say, "You know what those people need honey? A flamethrower." Think about how much shorter those movies would be if the couple whose car broke down in the middle of nowhere came with a man portable flamethrower standard instead of a cd changer...

I digress.

And, of course, I'm in.

Shaun :-)
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,808 posts
Armorama: 1,069 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 04:55 AM UTC
I like the idea, but I'm not sure, it's new for me.

Is this going to be a campaign???

I like to try.....

I think it's going this one
flammpanzer

With an alluminium barrel ( if I can find it )
Alluminium tracks, etc, etc, etc.
I don't know the specification of the tank.
But I will search on the internet.

Greetz Hilbert
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 842 posts
Armorama: 607 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 05:08 AM UTC
Sounds good to me...gives me a reason to strat another project while i'm bored with the current ones..

Quoted Text

I'd even allow non-traditional flame throwing models such as a medieval archer with a flaming arrow, soldier tossing a Molotov cocktail, catapult I'd even allow non-traditional flame throwing models such as a medieval archer with a flaming arrow, soldier tossing a Molotov cocktail, catapult with a flaming (simulated) projectile. Heck, if you wanted to do a fire-breathing dragon with wings, I'd say go for it.

hmmm would a dio of the campfire scene be authorized as an entry? hehe kidding...

I'm thinking something to do with fighting the Japanese on some island somewhere at sometime...
rfeehan
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 727 posts
Armorama: 648 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 05:12 AM UTC
Neat idea Robin I will look at my collection and see if any are flamers. Anyone know if there is a conversion to build a WASP out of a Bren Carrier?
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I do plan on submitting the campaign proposal soon.

sorry I didn't see your post :-) :-)
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 715 posts
Armorama: 297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 05:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Neat idea Robin I will look at my collection and see if any are flamers. Anyone know if there is a conversion to build a WASP out of a Bren Carrier?

Ultracast or Resicast has one..can't remember which one. About $45 US
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 08:44 AM UTC
I tossed my hat into the ring and submitted the campaign for approval. Here are the rules:
The rules are simple. Any type of flame throwing device in any scale. It can be a traditional figure with a flame thrower, a flame tank, halftrack, or wheeled vehicle.

Non-traditional flame throwing subjects such as a medieval archer or Native American with a flaming arrow, a soldier with a Molotov cocktail, catapult with a flaming (simulated) projectile are allowed. Even a fire-breathing dragon complete with wings or an ancient warship with Greek Fire is allowed. Although this is in the Armor/AFV section, all methods of using fire to fight the enemy is allowed.

The dates are set to coincide with the tradtional US summer (Memorial Day-Labor Day). I anticipate participants asking for additional time to complete the build so I pre-extended it by one month (it will be summertime after all).

And here is the link to enlist: Burn Baby, Burn!
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 10:08 AM UTC
I have enlisted

Pete
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 10:19 AM UTC
I enlisted too - what an interesting idea!

Gunnie
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 02:06 PM UTC
I'm in! I will build the ICM flamico or the 251 flame thrower.
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 02:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie

I figure you will piece together some mystery Vietnam era flame guntruck or perhaps that m548 with big flame tank?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 02:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gunnie

I figure you will piece together some mystery Vietnam era flame guntruck or perhaps that m548 with big flame tank?

Ah yes, wise man you are...

It will be something indeed from the mid-to-late 1950's through the Vietnam War-era, US armed forces, odd to say the least...

Gunnie
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 03:51 PM UTC
".....I digress.

And, of course, I'm in.

Shaun
......"

LMAO! :-) :-) Man, keenan you slay me....

Anyway, back to the subject at hand.

SUPERB idea Sabot!! Very nice 'twist' of interest.

But here's a query.....is there anything in Braille that would qualify? Or more accurately. Anything in Braille and Allied?

Tread.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Armorama: 1,174 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 03:57 PM UTC
i could hopefully get a hand on a flame thrower kit, would be simpel and oob, so why not?

how long would we have to build it?

Frank
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 04:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But here's a query.....is there anything in Braille that would qualify? Or more accurately. Anything in Braille and Allied?

Yes, there are several fine eastern European kits of various Soviet flame tanks used in WW2.

Skif does the OT-130 and OT-133 flame tanks. PST does several KV based flame tanks: KV-8, and the KV-8S
I think RPM does and FT-17 based flame tank too.
Eastern Express does an OT-34: http://www.alanger.us/default.asp?go=4&id=6847

Vac-U-Cast did an M3A1 Satan conversion for the old Matchbox (recently reissued by Revell) Stuart Honey. There was one on eBay last week: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2588&item=5954965627

Of course, scratchbuilding a Marine flame vehicle out of a regular one in 1/72 scale would be fairly easy due to the tiny size. I was leaning towards converting an ex-Esci Italeri M48A2/A3 kit into an M-67 flame tank as used by the Marines or scratching an M123 out of an Esci/Italeri M113. There is also the old 1/76 Fujimi M4 105mm howitzer. It would be very easy to add the coaxial flame barrel to make an M4A3 HVSS POA-CWS-H5.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 02:50 AM UTC
Howdy Rob and Good Mornin'!

As usual, you have provided a very informative answer to the question. Just another example of your being a great 'go to' guy.......thx

I checked the links you provided and must say, at only $5.57 each for the soviet examples, it's pretty difficult to resist! But I still like the idea of the 'Nam era M67 or the M123 better. plus it would fit better with my usual self defeating behaviour of adding to much to my '5lb bag' .
Here's another thought. Since I've already done most of the preliminary rework necessary to change the 1/35th scale LCM (3) hull into the longer LCM (6) hull for my ongoing BWN project, maybe I can do the same with the Braille offering from either Italeri or Trumpeter and turn it into a Zippo boat?
My feelings are, it would be a bit easier to do in that scale. After all, the command structure would just be a solid block instead of the hollow structure I'm now working on for the it's larger cousin..........
just a thought mind you.

Tread.

Oh....BTW Rob, I just stopped by and enlisted in this very HOT Campaign.
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 621 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 03:18 AM UTC
I just signed up. Thanks, Rob for getting this started!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 03:23 AM UTC

.........that makes '7'....

Red4
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 03:31 AM UTC
I'm in. I have a few subjects I could toss into the ring. "Q"
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 03:36 AM UTC

Like.........?
lavgnr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 216 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 03:44 AM UTC
... And I make 10. I've got a wee little Skif OT-133 in braille scale that's been on the shelf for years now.

EDIT- My wee little one is now missing roadwheels, tracks and too many other parts. Out it goes! I've ordered the Eastern Express KV-8S, based on the T-34 as a heavy flamethrower tank. This sounds like a fun build, I'll do it OOB.
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2005 - 12:17 AM UTC
............. That's 11
Sabot
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2005 - 01:03 AM UTC
Now does anyone want to design an award ribbon for the build? I was thinking of a red ribbon with yellow/orange flames rising. Feel free to suggest or create your own for discussion.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2005 - 02:14 AM UTC
Howdy guys,

As far as ribbons goes, the flame idea sounds good. I must admit tho, the first idea that came through my mind was the skull and crossbones patch worn by the german flamethrower teams during the second world war...but then that would probably be too 'dark' or politically incorrect, or something so...."sie la vie"

Tread.

got to admit though, a nice 'pirate' looking ribbon would really stand out amoungst all the other disneyland coloured ones....
For example, I really like the new T2K '03 ribbon with it's nifty 'radioactive' centerpiece......stands out it does