_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
water diorama?
antonio
Visit this Community
Cape Province, South Africa
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 11:33 PM UTC
hi guys!

im busy with a diarorama-is there a substitute for resin to do water??
antonio
Visit this Community
Cape Province, South Africa
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 02:18 AM UTC
ok

it seems that no one has an answer to me.
all i wanted to do was to put a leopard 2 in a bit of water (the one side) so im just gonna need a bit of water.

Maybe i must use a mud pool instead.

Any suggestions plse.
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 02:20 AM UTC
Woodland scenics makes some good water. You can either buy the kind that you poor in or melt and then poor. There are other manufacturers.
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 04:09 AM UTC
Marius-
If you have access to Envirotex liquid, they make a two part pour-on that works very well. An Alternative is to paint your base whatever color you want you water to be , then give it several coats of Future or Klear or whatever it's called in SA.
I personally don't like the WS products. The pour on tends to yellow rather quckly, making it look more like varnish. The meltable stuff- ugh. IF you can get it to melt without curdling, Pouring it before it begins to cure is near impossible. You then wind up with lumps & bubbles, or just a big clearish lump...
OR- you can go to the bottom of this page, select the SEARCH function, and type in 'Water'. Plenty of discussions on this topic in the last 3 years
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 04:23 AM UTC
First of all it depends what water you are trying to model. If its only a puddle your leopard is driving through, some clear varnish with browns and greens mixed in, can be quite convincing. Fill up the shape with polyfiller or spackel and shape, then cover with the varnish and colour. Clear gloss varnish asatop coat.
If you are submerging the the tank at one side, you will need a bulkier water source.
Please explain better what you are trying to achieve, and you will get the answer youare looking for. For deep water, look for the threads for the "splash campaign". This campaign involved water and theres loads of good tips there!
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 769 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 07:44 AM UTC
Depending on how deep your water is, I use two different methods. For shallow water I use Devcon brand clear, two part expoxy resin that is in a device that looks like two syringes. This is usually sold in craft stores or hardware stores. It come in various drying times, anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes. Sqeeze out the amount you need and mix it together with a stir stick. Dries crystal clear but stays stickey for a couple of days, so you have to put a cover on it to keep any dust off. It is pretty cheap, about $4.00 here in the states.
If the water is to be a little deeper, I use Castin'Craft Clear Casting resin. This is sold in craft stores and is used to make decopage(?) stuff and things sealed in plastic. It comes in 16oz cans and you have to buy the catalyst (hardener) seperate. You pour it in layers, letting each layer dry before adding the next. Just keep adding layers depending on how deep you want your water. I have made "rivers" about 1/2 - 3/4 inch deep. Dries clear but be warned: IT STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN!!!You have to do it in a well ventelated room. Drying time depends on how much hardener you add. They also have bottles of tinting liquid so you can color it if you want to. Hope this helps.

Jesse
 _GOTOTOP