_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Who's paint?
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 01:02 AM UTC
I was just wondering which brands of paints do you guys use? I use mostly Testors Model Master, since I built mostly aircraft they have a great selection of colors. I use Humbrol mostly for clothing on figures, and on some armor kits, I don't like airbrushing with Humbrol paints. I also use some Polly S paints, not as much as I use to, mostly for weathering now. But years ago when I would airbrush on my dining room table, the first wife liked it when I would use Polly S paints and not enamels. Geez I wondered why.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 01:06 AM UTC
Are we the only ones around here right now?

I'm a Tamiya acrylics-guy all the way. When I was stationed on Okinawa (1986-1989) that's when I picked up seriously into the hobby again. Bumped into Tamiya paints there and haven't used anything else in great quanity since.

I experimented with Gunze Sangyo on my Pig (LVTP-5A1 Amtrac) and liked it. They're pigment is incredibly fine, and the paint lays down smooth as butter. However, I didn't like it so much that I dumped my Tamiya acrylics.

I've never shot enamels or lacquers (other than gloss and dull) - can you believe that! Not even Floquil.

Gunnie
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 01:13 AM UTC
Same here! Never shot Enamals. I do use Model Master Metilizers for brush painting small things. Other than that Tamiya, ModelMaster Acryls, and Polly Scale.
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 01:25 AM UTC
I'm with gunnie as well. When I started way back when I always used the little testors bottles of paint and after starting back again 3 months ago after a 12 year lay-off I started with those. Then I discovered Tamiya Acrylics. I love those so much better. Now when I need a color I don't have (and have it in testors) I go get a bottle of Tamiya.

As far as spraying goes I don't have very much experience at it but I have sprayed Tamiya acrylics straight from the bottle with no thinning with good results.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 03:00 AM UTC
Tamiya are the only paints I can readily get a hold of :-
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 03:05 AM UTC
Hey Brian, nice avatar!

I've tried acrylics, Tamiya, PolyScale and Testors. I still like enamels. The local hobby shop has a large selection of the little square bottles of Testors and Model Master enamels.
However I do use some acrylics as my last coat because after they dry, my paint thinner wash wont attack them
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 03:13 AM UTC
Question Ron, what do you mean by last coat? Do you use enamels first, then lighten with acrylics?

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 05:10 AM UTC
Thanks Ron!

Now you know what I really look like (the other one was a "just awakened" pic )
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 06:27 AM UTC
I use Model Master's Acryl exclusively. I have dabbled with Tamiya's once in a while, but always go back to MM's.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 06:56 AM UTC

Tamiya. All the way. I tried Vallejo acrylics recently, too. Colors are good, but small volumes.
For drybrushing and washing, I use a cheap set of artist's oil colors.

Jan
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 11:10 PM UTC
My personal preference is :
MODEL MASTER ENAMELS
WINSOR & NEWTON OILS
POLLY-SCALE ACRYLICS
I am going to purchase some Vallejo Acrylics.
I have heard a lot of good things about this paint, and they
have a good stock of many colors. I like to keep a good
supply of acrylics on hand just in case. However, I do prefer enamels & oils.
- ralph
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 11:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Question Ron, what do you mean by last coat? Do you use enamels first, then lighten with acrylics?

Ron,
I usually prime with either flat black enamel or a grey lacquer primer. With either a acrylic or enamel finish coat. Some where along the line I heard that enamel will not attack lacquer and acrylics will not attack either lacquer or enamels. And enamel or lacquer will not attack a completely hardened acrylic.
When the final paint coat is dried, I airbrush Testors Glosscote. Let dry for at least 24 hrs., apply decals and wash and drybrushing, then either Testors Dullcote or PolyScale flat.
I use a paint thinner wash sot it does not attack the Testors Glosscote, which is lacquer based, I think.

PS-if you use a lacquer primer, go lightly. It can soften plastic. Of course, on resin, it dosen't matter.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2002 - 01:20 AM UTC
Humbrol Enamels... just those... They were the only ones available where I live and I started with them. Never tried another brand since. IMHO they offer a perfect flat finish.

The only drawback I can think of is when working on flesh tones.. but the slight sheen of the flesh can be simulated with semi gloss coating. Still I would like to try painting flesh with oils someday...

Mario M.

GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2002 - 05:36 AM UTC
Well, I thought my paint jobs were not too bad, but some pics on this site really outdo anything I saw before.
Check those HEMMT's by Pete Becerra (photo gallery) or that Leichter Panzertriebwagen by Werner Kampfhofer in the articles !!! They look so yummy I could eat them with a spoon.
No, really... GREAT jobs !!! :-) :-) :-)
ron_harris
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2002 - 09:52 AM UTC
My vote is for Polly Scale.
I have been using this stuff for about 2 years now and just won't switch.
I have tried Tamiya and will use some of their metalic colours as Polly Scale metallics were dropped after Testors bought them and started messing around with the product line.
I have a few Gunze colours that just weren't available from anyone else.
The best thing about Polly Scale is they hand brush fantastically. I don't care for airbrushing so all my painting is done by hand and I have actually had compliments on the paint jobs from modelers many years my senior (and i'm 54) that are airbrush enthusiasts. The strange part about using Polly is the first coat. It goes on and streaks and dries randomly and you wonder "what have I done" then the second covers up all the above mentioned stuff and dries dead flat. A beautiful coat.
Just my .02 CDN worth;

Ron :-)
Ribble
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 78 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2002 - 11:31 AM UTC
I use mainly Testors Model Master and Humbrol enamels. When I first started modelling I used enamels because I heard they were easier to work with, now I use them because thats what my local shops all stock. I've never had much luck with acrylics, maybe I'm too used to the enamels. I do use Polly scale acrylics for washes and dullcoats (it never yellows).
By the way, I heard (from a source on Hyperscale who read it in a Cleveland newspaper) that RPM, the company that owns Testors, is trying to sell the Testor's brand. They claim they are not selling enough paint.

JC Hayes
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 09:13 PM UTC
I prefer Floquil Military colors but they are hard to find. Floquils "Grimey Black" is a perfect color for road wheels. For the most part I use ModelMaster enamels and Humbrol. I occasionally will use Tamiya paints but will use the enamels instead if I have the color.....
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 255 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 09:31 PM UTC
Chappy,

you just like sniffing the enamels, admit it.... LOL
I use Tamiya acrylics a lot, I like the way they airbrush. I have a lot of ModelMaster and Humbrol enamels too though. I use the ModelMaster because they are FS matched, I build a lot of aircraft besides armor. I use Humbrol for handpainting and figures mostly. Recently I have picked up some ModelMaster acrylics (the ones in the paintpouches) and I like those too. I might switch to those and drop the ModelMaster enamels all together. It will take about a century before I finish all the bottles though ROFL
I have a few bottles of Pactra acrylics as well and those are great for handbrushing too. Brushes like an enamel! Those are the only paints I can get easily (oh and Revell enamels but they are only available in Europe I think) get a hold of. Others have to be imported or run across at the IPMS Nationals LOL
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 11:58 AM UTC
I am a little late to the post, but here goes. I use Model Master acrylics for airbrushing base colors and Model Master enamels for detailing. I like to use the enamels on top of the acrylics because they don't effect each other. I am also starting to use oils for washing and will be trying them for dry brushing soon. I have never tried anything in enamels or acrylics other than Model Master and have been happy with it so I don't know if I ever will. I really like the selection of colors and the FS matches. From what I have heard and seen the colors are acurate and with such huge selctions I can get what I need without having to figure out how to mix it, I just throw down $2.50 and have the exact color I need. As I get more experienced I may want to do something different, but they fit me and my skill level perfectly for now.
KMM
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 91 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 09:29 AM UTC
Now that I've gotten back into modeling, I'm loving the Testors Acrylics - clean up is so much easier than enamel and they have a huge selection of colors. Tamiya makes great paints as well, but I don't care for all the mixing. That being said, I always have a bottle of Tamiya Flat Earth for muddying-up my vehicles. :-) I also like Poly-S paints but I've found that a few of their panzer colors are a little off - Panzer Dark Yellow is WAY too brown, and I'm still torn about their Panzer Grey - seems a little too blue. On the other hand, I think Poly-S's Grimy Black is one of the best colors out there - put it on some tires and you've got instant weathering. :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 10:02 AM UTC
Read all your posts, great input there.

Here's what I'd like to see. Tamiya acrylics, only, available in the same vast selection as Humbrol enamels. Names too. Tamiya's very good paint, and they charge enough for it, that they should have a MUCH bigger selection & dispersion of colour choices.

Tread.

Yeah, I know, I know. All the 'old school' modelers out there are going to string me up for damning the old ritual of 'mixing your own'.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 10:11 AM UTC
I won't string you up Tread - I agree. I'd go with Tamiya exclusively, and for the price I'm accustomed to paying - I think they should double the range of colors they provide - and not cut the amount of paint (size of the jars) into the little "Minis" that they seem to be going to...

Gunnie
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 193 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 12:56 PM UTC
Dang!!!! I must be an oddball, I use a little of everything, Testors MM, Testors acrylic, Humbrol, Poly-S etc. Probably got an old bottle of Pactra Sea Blue somewhre too,...
 _GOTOTOP