_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Wintered Sherman X3
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 11:14 PM UTC
Aaack! Here I go again. This is the third time I'm fixing this bloody beast. Too long a story to put here but, briefly here goes: We moved last month, I dropped original model with it's dio, dio crunched, model survived...a little. ( good thing it was not attached) I fixed what I could, repainted, took a picture, started a new dio. Third time's a charm.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 11:19 PM UTC
Obviously I don't have to tell you - "never give up!"

It still looks marvelous Ken. You and Chief's modeling M4's got me into mine - I'm looking forward to seeing it done. I finished mine up this weekend...

Gunnie
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 01:50 AM UTC
Ken, you right never give up a model, never!
Gunnie, I love your model, but from the pic it seens to be painted in yellow sand color, is that right or its due some photo effect?
Great models congratulations for you both
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 02:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ken, you right never give up a model, never!
Gunnie, I love your model, but from the pic it seens to be painted in yellow sand color, is that right or its due some photo effect?
Great models congratulations for you both

Nope, no yellow sand color - I have around 50 photos in the Workbench Section of the Gallery of this model through painting and weathering. It's just OD Green faded, chipped, and weathered...

Gunnie
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 11:17 AM UTC
Looks great Gunnie!

I thought I'd just show a little more progress from this evening. What a difference in colors without natural lighting.

Lots more to still do.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 10:59 PM UTC
Oh yeah - it's lookin' good Ken! Sure you wanna put it in a diorama?!?

Gunnie
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 11:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks great Gunnie!

I thought I'd just show a little more progress from this evening. What a difference in colors without natural lighting.

Lots more to still do.

Ken----That is absolutely superb workmanship. I stand in awe of your superior abilities, Sir.
Wow!
DJ
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 11:42 PM UTC
Thanks alot guys.
Dio? I know Gunnie. I don't do them too often and when I did the one for this model, it kinda did a perfect "nose dive" into the driveway. Hmmm...maybe I'll leave well enough alone...
Maybe I'm I'm just too humble but, I was thinking "What a disasterous piece I've done here".
I,m hoping to complete her today so I'll post more pics if I do.
Thanks again guys.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 11:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks alot guys.
Dio? I know Gunnie. I don't do them too often and when I did the one for this model, it kinda did a perfect "nose dive" into the driveway. Hmmm...maybe I'll leave well enough alone...
Maybe I'm I'm just too humble but, I was thinking "What a disasterous piece I've done here".
I,m hoping to complete her today so I'll post more pics if I do.
Thanks again guys.

Ken---what type camera are you using?
thanks
DJ
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 12:02 AM UTC
I'm using a Nikon CoolPix 950...broken. I dropped it awhile ago so it has problems focusing. I have to shake it a bit to get it to focus for me. The last pic I took with it (the darker one) was done without the flash. I don't like to flash subjects as it tends to "wash" it too much.
Here's one from today using natural lighting:
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 12:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm using a Nikon CoolPix 950...broken. I dropped it awhile ago so it has problems focusing. I have to shake it a bit to get it to focus for me. The last pic I took with it (the darker one) was done without the flash. I don't like to flash subjects as it tends to "wash" it too much.
Here's one from today using natural lighting:

Ken--many thanks
DJ
Ps---how does a person who drops things, create such works of military art?
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 01:09 AM UTC
Holy Mackeral Kenc' ! That is exquisite work!! Golly gee willikers guys, between you and Gunnie, I don't think I'll ever do a Sherman. Or, if I do, I'll just resign myself to keeping in a dark closet.....or maybe as a compromise, I'll also take a pic of it in low light....very, very light.

Tread.

Kenc' , I just love the rust effect in your second photo!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 03:09 AM UTC
Hmmm - since I'm home today, I'm gonna go outside and try some natural lighting. I feel that the natural sun is too intense for 1:35th scale - kinda like looking at the real thing under high-powered spotlights. But, I'll see...

We can trade pictures all day ...

Back in a couple of minutes...

Gunnie
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 03:26 AM UTC
Gunnie, definetly do not use direct sunlight!!! A nice filtered location like under a tree is great! Lets see some more!
Maybe I'll shoot another too...
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 03:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmm - since I'm home today, I'm gonna go outside and try some natural lighting. I feel that the natural sun is too intense for 1:35th scale - kinda like looking at the real thing under high-powered spotlights. But, I'll see...

We can trade pictures all day ...

Back in a couple of minutes...

Gunnie

Gunnie,

if there is no shade put up a white bedsheet overhead to use as a filter and use the light that gets through it to illuminate your model.

Any place where there will be soft, even illumination is best.

Steve
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 03:45 AM UTC
Okay - here's what I came up with so far:

I did these two in the shade over my porch - on a white concrete bench. The whiteness of the bench made me think about your model on a snowfield....

I kinda like the above two - but these lighting conditions only last up until 1:00 PM here at home - not the most condusive for photography.

Direct sunlight - ewwwww! I don't like that!

Controlled indoors conditions in my workshop. A mixture of natural (shadowed) sunlight, OTT Lights overhead - rear, and Yellow incandescents low and to two different sides. I can get this most of the day here. Living in a Condo complex doesn't afford an easily reachable outdoor photo spot for me.

I discovered that I lose some sharpness and color when I convert my images. I normally save in .jpeg format - but these files are huge. I'm using a graphic converter to save in a compressed .jpg format for uploading to the site here. The images are smaller and easier on the server space, but not quite as nice as the image before compression I'm afraid.

Interesting experiment though. I'm gonna keep on messing around...

Gunnie
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 03:47 AM UTC

Ken,

You stole my idea!

I have been working for the last two months on an M4 that's going to have a worn whitewash finish. Getting close to the primer stage. Man, I go slow!

A combination of PE and hot weather is really dragging this one out.

Great job on the camo Ken. Looks really convincing! I'm going to be putting mine (someday!) on a base. Kind of in a fixed firing position role.

I hope to get some pix of mine up soon.

Is yours supposed to represent a particular vehicle? Is it in Belgium in '45?

Steve
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 03:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay - here's what I came up with so far:

I did these two in the shade over my porch - on a white concrete bench. The whiteness of the bench made me think about your model on a snowfield....

I kinda like the above two - but these lighting conditions only last up until 1:00 PM here at home - not the most condusive for photography.

Direct sunlight - ewwwww! I don't like that!

Controlled indoors conditions in my workshop. A mixture of natural (shadowed) sunlight, OTT Lights overhead - rear, and Yellow incandescents low and to two different sides. I can get this most of the day here. Living in a Condo complex doesn't afford an easily reachable outdoor photo spot for me.

I discovered that I lose some sharpness and color when I convert my images. I normally save in .jpeg format - but these files are huge. I'm using a graphic converter to save in a compressed .jpg format for uploading to the site here. The images are smaller and easier on the server space, but not quite as nice as the image before compression I'm afraid.

Interesting experiment though. I'm gonna keep on messing around...

Gunnie

Gunnie--stop torturing me.....I have to at least look like I am working and the droole running out of my mouth at the sight of this work is giving me away. Beautiful, truly outstanding work.
thanks
DJ
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 04:34 AM UTC
Beautiful job with the lighting there Gunnie. The colors really show up much better. I love that M4! :-) Makes me not want to post any more...what the heck. I added a few more items with more still, later.

Steve, I was just shooting for one in the Ardennes. I would like to see yours too. :-)
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 04:38 AM UTC
Magnificent work Gunnie and Ken! I´ve wondered so far why some people have a thing for Shermies...But if it builds to a model like this, I can see why!
Interesting experiments with the photography & lighting there! After finishing a model this is a big question, how to photograph the model. There are advantages in each type of lighting and the colour is very different when the light temperature changes. If the goal is to have a photo displaying the model as a great model, artficial indoor lighting gives means for adjustment to show every detail, on the other hand, direct sunlight can really fool the eye even though (or because ) some of the details are lost in the shadows!
Nice comparisons, one could think there are different models shown!

Toni

Ps Ken, your tank really RuMbLeS!
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 04:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve, I was just shooting for one in the Ardennes. I would like to see yours too. :-)

My plan is to have it completed by the middle of October!

I hope there will still be interest by then! :-)

I fell in love with a photo in the Sherman in Action book. The one of a sherman in Luxembourg I believe. Love the combo of the worn whitewash, mud, dirt, and stowage.

I should take some 'under construction' photos. Just gave the digital camera back to its owner. May need to borrow it again. Same camera as yours Ken, and even when its not broken its a pain to focus!

So in the meantime, I can copy your work!!!!

Steve
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautiful job with the lighting there Gunnie. The colors really show up much better. I love that M4! :-) Makes me not want to post any more...what the heck. I added a few more items with more still, later.

More! More! More!

Gunnie :-)
Cob
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 04:53 AM UTC
Hey Gunnie,
I love the chipped paint effect. It's tough for my old eyes to tell what color(s) you used to achieve it. It look different in every photo. I'm guessing gray and/or red brown? What's your secret?
v/r,
Cob
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 04:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Gunnie,
I love the chipped paint effect. It's tough for my old eyes to tell what color(s) you used to achieve it. It look different in every photo. I'm guessing gray and/or red brown? What's your secret?
v/r,
Cob

I used 50% thinned Tamiya acrylic NATO Black applied with a #10 0 Brush. I feel that Tamiya color is excellent for paint chipping - no sheen, not too dang silvery, and the mix has a slight tint of green in strong light - it works well with all colors for this purpose. It looks the part in all lighting conditions. To some paint chips, I tinted the area with pastel brown for a light surface rust. Not too heavy, and only apparant in certain angles and light conditions - to give the viewer a different appearance each time.

Gunnie
Cob
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 05:02 AM UTC
Thanks Gunnie,
Like I said it looks great. A lot of times, I think the rust is way overdone. This is a very realistic effect.
v/r,
Cob
 _GOTOTOP