Hosted by Darren Baker
stone walls and Bavarian style buildings
alphasniper
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 03:56 AM UTC
how can i make stone wall like waist high for 1/35 dio. and how do i scratch build houses and suck that a bavarian style buildings

all help would be appreciated
if you can pictures and drawings help
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 06:02 AM UTC
What I'd use for the wall is styrofoam. You can engrave the shape of stones in it and then paint it !
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 - 07:30 AM UTC
You can get packs of Woodland Scenics rock in various sizes in the Railroad section of your hobby shop. Just match up the pieces, just like building a real thing. It will take some chiseling, depending upon the texture you want on your stones.
alphasniper
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 04:01 AM UTC
thT HELPS EXCEPT THAT STYROFOAM DOESN'T LIKE MODELING GLU OR ELMER'S GLU, AND HOW DO I MAKE BUILDINGS OF BAVARIAN STYLE WITH SOME DESTUTION DONE TO IT. THANKS UT MORE HELP IS NEEDED
ALL IS APPRECIATED
Ralf
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 170 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 02:49 AM UTC
There is an elegant way to get reference of the architecture of typical south german houses: There are hundrets of alpine HO-scale buildings for train-dios. You can buy a cheap one and copy it in 1:35 scale, or You can inspire Yourself on a webpage of these labels.
I copied two interesting links for You:
http://www.vollmer-kit.de/index.php?lg=ger
or
http://shop.kibri.de/en/index.htm

Happy modeling. :-)
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 05:54 AM UTC
You can fix styro with white glue or by placing it in still liquid plaster.

For the bavarian buildings, sorry I'm of no help...
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 02:10 PM UTC
Bavarian buildings are a specialty of mine. i also have an article (Hall of Fame/Dioramas #8 Scratchbuilding a diorama) that you should read. Here are the basics for a bavarian timber frame house.

1) Draw out your design on FOAMBOARD in light pencil. Indicate wall shapes, height, windows, doors, etc.

2) Go to STARBUCKS (yes THAT Starbucks) and buy a cup of coffee... then walk over to their condiments area and grab a handful of their nice wooden STIR STICKS.... hey -you paid $4 for a 50 cent cup of coffee... you're entitled!

3) Cut out the foamboard with a VERY SHARP (ie, NEW!) xacto blade knife. When it gets the least bit dull, change blades!!!!!

4) Lay out the wooden stir sticks in a variety of ways on the foamboard walls till you have what you like. Cut the sticks one at a time, and glue them to the board with FABRITAC glue... best stuff in the business! Fine for the paper surface, but DO NOT let it touch the inner wafer of styorfoam, or it will melt.

5) Lay everything aside to dry and cure (24 hours).

6) come back and use SPACKLE PASTE or CONCRETE PASTE (available at Home Depot) to fill in the mortar area between and up to the boards. Use a spatuala, and keep it wet so it doesn't stick to the mortar. If a little bit gets on the wood, either wipe it off with a damp brush, or let it dry and later chip it off.... I recommend the former when possible. Let it dry.

You will now have the walls you need for your building. Attaching and configuring the walls togetether is covered in great depth with lots of photos in the "Scratchbuilding" article.

As for stones... I sell a nice "bocage-style" section of stacked stone wall about 4-5 inches long.... $3.00 each in plaster, or $5 each in resin... look perfect in :35 to 1:32 scale. Contact me if you would like a photo or to place an order. [email protected]
rick
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 65 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 05:42 AM UTC
It sounds all nice, but where can I buy that styrofoam
Cheers
Rick
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 06:53 AM UTC
My two cents - I built a wall thigh high in 1/35 and I went down to my local creek and picked through all the rocks and found A POT FULL my fence was about 12 inches long and I was not into resin or plaster yet. I then took house hold spackle and built it one rock at a time. I then painted the spackle to look like mortar.
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 07:37 AM UTC
Rick,

You can find it at any DIY store (Gamma bv.)
 _GOTOTOP