Hosted by Darren Baker
Otro Camión-Opel Blitz
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 05:44 PM UTC
Well I decided to put on hold my LRDG project and instead build the Opel Blitz by Italeri. It's a nice truck although I hate it when Italeri doesn't put numbers on the sprue itself. You have to refer to the drawing of the sprue on the instruction sheet. For those who haven't built this yet. The doors are fixed to the cab though it is easy to slice it off or pry it to an open position and the hood is molded as one part with the cab windsheild frame and roof. Also it has this rubbery wheels and a complete engine block. Though I'm not about the level of detail.

I do have a question for those who are knowledgeable about soft skins. Did the Wehrmacht ever use the blitz as a flatbed truck? What I mean is without sidings. I was planning to mount the flak 43 or the other 20mm flak gun on it but it would only work if the sidings are not installed. I don't mean to mount is as a permanent fixture of the truck. Rather just place it there like a cargo.

MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 06:31 PM UTC
I have to ask why you wish to mount the gun like 'cargo' when the truck has a tow hook and would have towed the gun leaving the bed for other cargo such as ammo or personnel?

DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 06:32 PM UTC
I know that the 20mm was mounted on the 'Blitz', but in the pics that I've seen the sides are usually left on. They are opened to be level and supported to extend the gun crews working area. The gun would have to be fixed in place or it would shake itself off the truck when fired.
There would be no point in just placing the gun as 'cargo' as all the German AA guns had their own wheeled trailer.

As with any WW2 subject, I can't say that it's a definitive answer, but I haven't found any pic of a 20mm being carried as cargo.
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 08:11 PM UTC
Just throwing ideas, you know. I have a 20mm flak gun that I can make into a damaged unit to be sent for repairs. Of course damaged along with it's towing unit. But since Dave said it could be placed in the Blitz as a firing gun, then I might as well do that. I would appreciate if someone could direct me to some pictures though.
thunderbolt
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 09:04 PM UTC
hej

Quoted Text

I do have a question for those who are knowledgeable about soft skins. Did the Wehrmacht ever use the blitz as a flatbed truck? What I mean is without sidings. I was planning to mount the flak 43 or the other 20mm flak gun on it but it would only work if the sidings are not installed. I don't mean to mount is as a permanent fixture of the truck. Rather just place it there like a cargo.

I have found one photo of a Blitz with the side off and the top of the cab is also gone, but it(20mm) is mounted on the truck and not cargo.

valle
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 415 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 01:42 AM UTC
Italeri Kit # 380 is an Opel Maultier with a 20mm Flak 38 mounted in the bed. Since the Maultier is a Blitz with tracks, the Flak 38 could be mounted in the Blitz.
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2005 - 07:33 PM UTC
A preview of my intentions. Actually it's now painted and coated with a clear gloss though all the sidings are painted individually so I can have the option of puting it open or not at all.

_GOTOTOP