_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
My Finished M13/40
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 09:02 AM UTC
I finally finished my M13/40 Italian medium tank. This was the Zvezda kit, which, though it says M13/40, in actuality represents an M14/41. The differences between the M13/40 and M14/41 were fixed using Model Victoria's conversion kit (including resin and PE) and some of my own hacking and filling. The tracks are the workable type also supplied by Model Victoria.
My model represents an M13/40 of the III Battaglione in Cyrenaica either shortly before or after the British counterattack Operation Compass in December 1940. Markings were very simple. I just drew on the roman numeral III with white paint. The red and white insignia was a decal supplied in the kit. I made my own mask for the white air identification marking on top of the turret.
This was my first attempt at a very chipped up paint job, and I am quite pleased with the results. Your comments are greatly appreciated, however.

Nic
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 09:09 AM UTC
WOW! For an ugly bucket of bolts Nic, you sure did a great job on that!!! It's a beauty!!

Questions...

What did you make the sandbags and tarps out of? They look real nice! Also, how'd you do the chipped paint?

Real nice man!! Keep 'em comin'!

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 09:10 AM UTC
Now that is very nice. I really like the subtle weathering. And a nice change from typical subject matter. Very nice Nic.
Have you done other Italian subjects?
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 09:10 AM UTC
Looks Killer Folgore. Nice weathering. Are you into italian armor they did not have much in the way off Armor did they?
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 09:12 AM UTC
Looking good, Nic!

How did you do the sandbags? Epoxy putty?

Love the chipped paint -- you kept it light enough to look real. I want to try this, but am afraid I'll overdo it.

Also, have you figured out how you're going to fill that open hatch yet?
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 09:13 AM UTC
Real nice job! Keep it up
Just a question: don´t you think you should weather the tracks to match to the rest of the vehicle?
Cheers
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 09:15 AM UTC
Folgore!! Why you little hold-out you! Very nice work there mate. And you built it from a Zvezda kit!?! Damn, first you should get points for that alone. Next, you should get extra points for building Italian (hope I don't get a 'contract' put out on me for that one ). And third, you get 'Biggie Size' point's for an excellent piece of work Folgore!
Many thx for sharing with it with the 'clan'.

Tread.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 09:29 AM UTC
Lord Folgore, this is one piece of very very very nice work you pulled here. I love the sand bags and the head lights the most. Cannot see it too clear from the pics, but the head lights are they painted silver, or it has clear covers?
Tanks46
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 09:46 AM UTC
Very nice Nic. I like the early WW2 tanks many different shapes and sizes. Excellent realism with the chipped paint and extra "stuff" on the vehicle. I like the chain and the sand bags for effect nicely done. The exhausts are excellent. I salute you. Tanks46.

Der Sonntag Bund.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 09:48 AM UTC
Nicely done, like the subject matter too. look forward to more .

Josh Weingarten
aKa shiryon
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 - 10:25 AM UTC
Wow. Thanks for all the comments guys. You really made my day.

I must confess, though, that I cheated on the sandbags and tarps. They came with the Model Victoria conversion kit. For $45 CDN, you do get a lot of good stuff. All the stowage came from that kit, and I never used it all! The sandbags have especially good texture on them. Far better than I could ever have done myself. All the tie-downs I did myself, however. The stowage was painted with artist's oils, with the exception of the jerry cans. I don't know why I decided to do it this way, but it was fun mixing all the colours .

The conversion kit also came with the ends for the chain, but did not include the chain itself. I couldn't find any model ship builders chain so I used a necklace that I had found on the road a while ago and had kept for this very purpose. It was the perfect size and shape, I just hope it wasn't real gold . I sprayed the chain gunmetal, then drybrushed with aluminum. It later recieved a fine coat of dust with the airbrush.

The chipped paint was simply applied after the model was airbrushed with the Italian Sand colour. I used Model Master Gun Metal and basically drybrushed it on with a fine brush. I elected to go with this dark colour because I knew the following wash, drybrush, clear coats, and dust would tone it down somewhat.

The exhausts were something new. I tried that Instant Rust stuff I heard about here on Armorama. It worked really well. The coats were thin enough that the detail was still visible and the rust was a dark brown colour, perfect for exhausts. I added black pastel dust with a little graphite to the ends of the exhausts as I did at the ends of the gun barrels.

For further weathering, I brushed some dark red brown pastel dust making some verticle streaks coming down from some of the bolts. As stated earlier, I also airbrushed some dust on. Using a technique from a recent TMMI issue, I lightly sprayed Tamiya Deck Tan over the gloss coated model. Afterwards, I removed the dust from some areas using a Q-tip dipped in acrylic thinner. This dust coat also faded down the white air identification marker slightly.

This is my second Italian subject to date, but it will not be my last, I really enjoy building them. You may have seen my other one as I wrote an article on it. This was my Fiat Topolino. It was in the Dromedary Dilemma diorama. There are not many Italian kits out there and most styrene ones are of relatively poor quality. With companies like Model Victoria, however, we are offered a number of excellent resin products and kits. If you are willing to pay the price, they are great kits.

Bob--This tank will eventually be in a diorama. I have ordered a figure (Model Victoria, of course ) to go in the turret . I already have the other three members of the crew. Like the kits, if you want good Italian figures, you are forced to go with resin ones.

Paulo--Thanks for the advice. What I did with the trakcs was paint them gun metal, then drybrush with aluminum. I then mixed up a wash using pastels and paint thinner and put that over the trakcs. It settled nicely into the recessed areas and looks like dust or sand. I didn't think much rust would be appropriate for a tank in the desert. What do you suggest? Maybe just a sand coloured drybrush?

Tread--LOL! Thanks for the points .

Dave--Well I lied, the model isn't completely finished as the lights have no glass in them! These came with the resin conversion kit and are very nice, but there were no lenses with them. I did paint the inside silver. Right now, I'm waiting to get my hands on some Krystal Klear. They don't have any here, so it might be a while.......

Well, i think I answered everyone's questions. If you have more feel free to ask, I love sharing . I guess I don't have to write an article now .

Nic
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 04:21 AM UTC
Hey guys. I really would like some ideas as to what I could do to make the tracks appear more weathered (but naturally, of course). I'm all ears if anyone has some suggestions.....

I wouldn't mind some ideas for the diorama base. I have the entire crew of four, now. Three resin figures by Model Victoria (one standing in turret opening, two outside leaning against the tank resting) and one resin figure by Royal Model (standing with cup of coffee/water/tea?). I like to keep the bases small so they fit in the house. I wouldn't mind making some desert shrubbery, though. Once again, your help here would be great.

Thanks,

Nic
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 10:02 AM UTC
Hi Folgore,
You did a great work on the whole model, but the tracks I would give, besides what you already did, a wash with black, and a little rust I think you should use, very subtle.A dust coloured drybush is a must....just my two cents (brazilians :-) )
Have fun
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2002 - 10:04 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply, Paulo. I will definitely do that. And congratulations on becoming our newest general!

Nic
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 02:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I finally finished my M13/40 Italian medium tank. This was the Zvezda kit, which, though it says M13/40, in actuality represents an M14/41. The differences between the M13/40 and M14/41 were fixed using Model Victoria's conversion kit (including resin and PE) and some of my own hacking and filling. The tracks are the workable type also supplied by Model Victoria.
My model represents an M13/40 of the III Battaglione in Cyrenaica either shortly before or after the British counterattack Operation Compass in December 1940. Markings were very simple. I just drew on the roman numeral III with white paint. The red and white insignia was a decal supplied in the kit. I made my own mask for the white air identification marking on top of the turret.
This was my first attempt at a very chipped up paint job, and I am quite pleased with the results. Your comments are greatly appreciated, however.

Nic

Nic--super job.
DJ
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 11:53 AM UTC
Hi Nic.... It looking really darn good !!!!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 05:11 PM UTC
This is as good a model I have seen in a long time. I like everything about it. I think it will be great in a dio. Maybe its an idea to wait with further weathering of the tracks until you do your dio, so that they can be weathered the same and so tied better together. EXCELLENT
 _GOTOTOP