_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
the Trumpeter 1/35 AS90 kit
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 345 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 09:57 AM UTC
How is the accuracy of this kit ?

Technically, as far as I can see, it looks good, with options for both 39 as well as a 52 calibre barrel.

And no doubt it will be a pleasure to build ( is the 'Incomming' campaign still active ??? )

DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 10:06 AM UTC
This was a (allegedly!) rip-off of the Accurate Armour resin kit, so it's fairly accurate. There are some issues with the turret basket and the canvas around the base of the barrel, but otherwise it ain't too bad.
Accurate Armour have released update sets for it, but these are far more expensive than the kit itself.

I built it when it was first released, and can't recall any particular problems with the assembly.
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 10:40 AM UTC
If you can get to the Armorama Uk msn site there is a build review of the trumpeter AS90 kit there.
Pete
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 07:03 PM UTC
Hi,
you can get a good AS90 with this kit but it'll need some work as the fit is no always as good as expected.
If interested, you can havea look at my site were I displayed my finished model.
Just click on the link under my signature
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 08:50 PM UTC
Only problem I had with mine was the turret stowage cage on the roof and a problem with the rear idler mounts...Although I suspect that was me making a cock-up nice kit and builds quickly as well
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 12:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Only problem I had with mine was the turret stowage cage on the roof and a problem with the rear idler mounts...Although I suspect that was me making a cock-up nice kit and builds quickly as well

I fully agree, the turret basket doesn't fit properly and the worst is that it doesn't rest on the turret roof as well.
I fixed it by a thorough sanding and I replaced the ugly mesh by photoetched one.

I don't remember having trouble with the idlers but was embarassed by the various stowage boxes on the turret flank as Trumpeter's instructions were quite unclear in this area.

Another topic to be checked, the gun travel lock wouldn't be suitable for a 35 caliber barrel and is good only for the 52 cal one.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 02:06 AM UTC
I have this kit, but haven't built it, but know others that have, and from what I have heard, its a good kit, but, the barrel is too long.

In the 39cal you have to cut I think 2cm off of the barrel?? to get it to scale, I think the barrel that comes in the kit is more like a 44cal or something like that....been awhile since I have looked it up.

Although if you replaced the kit barrel with a turned one, you would be ok.
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 345 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 07:29 AM UTC
actually.. the barrel length is calculated from where the rifling in the barrel begins... I recall from my days as M109 gunner that , feen from the breech, there is no rifling for about 60 cm ( 2 feet approx ), which would make 4 calibres roughly

This is to leave space for the charge and the rear end of the projectile.

So.. the gun looking longer a bit doesn't really surprise me.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2005 - 01:04 PM UTC
Point being, that the length of the kit barrel is actually too long, doesn't matter where you measure it from.....its too long, and actually measures about a 44 cal instead of the 39Cal its suppose to be. If you compare a metal turned barrel from Model Point or the like, its shorter than the kit barrel.

Either way, when I build mine, its going to be the 52cal Bravehart versions.
 _GOTOTOP