_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tracks are driving me mad!
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 533 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2005 - 01:53 AM UTC
i'm building a Italeri Panther A right now... the one that comes with the plastic zimmerit..

now, the problem is that i JUST CANT SEEM to glue the track down on the wheels to create that 'sag' effect!!!...

i've tried using different amountof glue and it apparently still doesnt stick...i've been doing this for 4 days now and i'm letting the glue dry and settle for a night..still, that doesnt work....

i'm getting crazy with this vinyl tracks...i'm starting to hate em
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2005 - 02:01 AM UTC
Have you removed the paint, in the glue area? I always scrabe of the paint were I want to glue and then tie down the track, using a piece of string. When the glue is dry, remove string. Always use superglue when glueing vinyltracks.

I haven't tried this yet, but I have been thinking about using fishingstring/wire to keep the tracks in place(No glue). I think the fs. could be painted to almost invisible.
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2005 - 02:29 AM UTC
use some CA glue
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2005 - 02:37 AM UTC
your best bet is to use super glue like Harrison says and either hold it down til it sets doing a little bit at a time or use an accelerator to set the super glue but still do a bit at a time and watch you dont stick your fingers together either :-)
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2005 - 02:41 AM UTC
I generally use Elmer's glue for track sag. Any extra seepage gets covered in mud as part of the weathering. I have melted away track with tube glue. Never tried CA as I am afraid that will break down the molecules of the plastic too. I also take some paper, fold it up and jam in between the track and sponson to wedge the track down while letting the glue dry.
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,808 posts
Armorama: 1,069 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2005 - 03:09 AM UTC
You can drill small holes were you want the sag.
Put metal wires in the holes (use some straight paperclips , maby something thinner metal) and glue it in the inside of your tank.
Lay the wire on the track so it will create a sag.

Hope you'll understand this

Grtz Hilbert
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2005 - 04:44 AM UTC
hey guys thanks for the replies

yes, i did use superglue...but to no avail...but i guess i'll try to sand off the paint in the area where i want to glue first..
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2005 - 05:28 AM UTC
are you useing the tracks that came with the kit,
Italeri tracks are not great.
they are 2 hard and they can break off parts,
maybe try to get a set of tamyia tracks
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2005 - 05:47 AM UTC
Forgot to mention that superglue only gives you one chance to glue it right. Once the molecules have been rearranged they will not bond with anything else. If you are trying to repeatedly use super glue it will not work. The pin method or white glue method may be better options at this point.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2005 - 06:00 AM UTC
With Panther tracks if all else fails just use some thead and tie them down around the wheels ..you'll never see it on the finished model if you tie it to the center wheels.

Rick
Super glue would be my first option of course but Italei track are very stiff so I can see your problem.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2005 - 06:02 AM UTC
I usually have good luck with the CA. If you don't use pins like Hilbert suggested. Drill holes through the hull where you need to hold the track down. Put the track on. Insert sections of paper clip or whatever through the holes, over the tracks. You may have to use some CA (on the inside of the hull) to keep the pins from moving once you have them where you want them. You don't need the pins to extend the whole way to outside edge of the track, either. Halfway usually works for me. Crappy picture I made with MS Paint below.

HTH,

Shaun

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2005 - 06:32 AM UTC
I dont like buying aftermarket items just for the sake of it, but when it comes to Italeri tracks, there is not much other choice. They are complete rubbish. Nothing will stick them down. As they come with 2 lengths each side, its harder to hide the joints. Impossible to glue, and you will probably find with all your effort the paint is starting to crack in the joints. I have never been able to get paint to stick to them, seems to crack immediately, or a short time afterwards. Even if you get them fixed into a passable position, the detail on them, leaves a lot to be desired.
Your cheapest option is to ask in the buy/sell/trade area for anyone who has a spare tamiya set, or look into the different AM choices.
I made the Italeri Panther D a few years ago and used my first set of friuls. They cost the same as the kit but they add so much to the overall appearance.
Heres a picture to help you make your mind up!

SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 09:35 PM UTC
THanks guys, i really appreciate your help

Frank, nice panther!!

i'd managed to get the tracks to 'sag' .... but i have to hand them carefully or else they will 'unsag'

now its time to paint the tank....when it';s finished i'll show u guys..hope it turn out good
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 398 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 12:21 AM UTC
Go with drilling small holes and using wire!that seems to give me the best result's!also if the tracks are a little stiff try heating them in hot water and streatching them before trying to mount them....
 _GOTOTOP