_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Medals and ribbons
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 01:07 AM UTC
Jim,

Could special ribbons / medals be an incentive to increase the number of articles or kit reviews ?

I would suggest medals have something to do with efforts that improve this site. Ribbons are awards that concern loyalty (years of membership) or modeling merits that are not linked to Armorama.

How 'bout bronze (5), Silver (10) and gold (25) medals for people who send in a number of reviews or articles ? (separate medals for each).
Instead of the olympic bronze, silver and gold there could be oak leaves and diamonds...

If you think this is an interesting route, I'd be happy to work out a medal layout proposal !

How about medals for intelligence (good marketing idea), (site improvement idea ((like this !!!)), ... ?

You could give ribbons to everyone who has won a first, second or third price in modeling competition.

All that would make the site more colorful, and convince us to make an effort in certain areas that can help to make the site more interesting !
There may be a ribbon for each year of service too.
Why not a ribbon if you are able to add an extra member ?

My 2 cts ( gee, that's almost three cents worth !)

Jan (back in business ).
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 01:14 AM UTC
Jan,
Good ideas all.

I think though you over-rate my meager PHP programming skills on some of those. Let's start with the review award first though as it would be somewhat simple to build something in that counts the number of reviews and then awards an award or ribbon based on that number.

Please do send more input on any ideas for this.

Thanks,
Jim
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 01:39 AM UTC
I like the idea GeneralJan !!

Gee.... I just started an article .... I wonder.... Xeroxing ? Hmmmm..
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 07:59 AM UTC
I think is good idea indeed! Jim you should listen to it...
Have fun
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 04:23 PM UTC
Good and bad to this one in my opinion. It would increase some things we are looking for, but run the risk of less quality work.

If this was to go through Maybe there could be a system to vote on what the article is worth or if it counts for anything. Something like the UOM award where you can vote once on wether the article/review is incredible to crap, with a couple selections in between. If the site users don't think it is worth anything, or meet a minimum score, no award. This is just the first thing that comes to mind, it may be dumb but some type of qaulity control would be needed IMO. It sounds like a lot of work also any way it's done.

That being said the idea has some merit. I would just like a lot of thought put into it and have it done in a way that will truly improve the site. It's nice to see people giving ideas to improve the site also, good work Jan.
 _GOTOTOP