_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: R/C Armor
Discuss all Remote Control Armor related topics here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1/16 Tanks
Beginner
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 09:12 PM UTC
Hi,
I'm thinking about getting one of the Tamiya 1/16 R/C tanks. Which one should I get? The largest thing I have built before was a 1/35 Tank, so this would be the first of the sort. I'm still a beginner modeller but would as many features as I could build. Which would have the best balance of ease and features? Thanks.
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,305 posts
Armorama: 591 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2005 - 10:19 PM UTC
Ciao Beginner,
I would suggest one thing. Since you are a beginning modeler, you should buy a 1/35 scale tank identical to the one you want to purchase in 1/16th. Build it, work all the bugs out, and then buy the more expensive, larger model.
Other than that, visit the Tamiya webpage for answers. Good luck with it and enjoy!
Ciao for now
Rob
schrauber
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 44 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 08:37 AM UTC
hi,

my favorits are : leopard2a6, pershing, fox, and the old tamiya modelīs leo1a4 and gepard.

the pershing is much easyer to build the the leo2a6 !

axel
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 602 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 10:00 AM UTC
I would love to have the Pershing kit.

Trying to explain it to the wife when I brought it home would be interesting however.
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 398 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 11:28 AM UTC
go with the pershing!!!!!!But i agree with the above post get some in 1/35th before you jump to 1/16th.
SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Armorama: 172 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 02:10 PM UTC
go with the pershing!!! i just finished the thing. the build is great. very nice moulds.

just remember to get ahold of some small baggies, and keep the parts seperated by bags in them.

keep all parts from bag A only in bag A so you dont get confused.

its a nice one. the electronics are smooshed in it, not much room. but very much worth the money
Beginner
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2005 - 03:12 PM UTC
I've actually nearly finished building my Tamiya 1/35 Leopard 2 A5 but am still waiting for the R/C parts to be fixed (they wouldnt respond to pivoting). So the pershing is the best bet? I heard that you had to take the side skirts off for it to run otherwise stuff would get stuck in there easily?
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2005 - 04:48 PM UTC
My experience with the Pershing is cramming all the electronics (including battery packs) into that little hull. (I hear the Leopard is an even tighter fit). Personally I like my Tiger I. Plenty of room for everything. Just buy yourself an aftermarket (aluminum) barrel as the kit doesn't contain one (at least mine didn't). I can also recommend the King Tiger. My only gripe with that is the Idler wheel (?) tension adjustment was hard to get just right, and as a result I destroyed the tracks. I am now saving to purchase some metal ones ($100-160). I have both the Sherman and Pershing also. (yep, 4 of em) I have built all to the running stage. I really like the Pershing, like I said, just really hard to cram all that stuff in the hull. Looks real sweet (and yes, Tamiya recommends removing the side skirts to run it) My biggest disappointment is the Sherman (no gun recoil), but it does have plenty of room in the hull. I'm sure you will enjoy any of their kits. It all comes down to personal preference, which tank you like most. Now if I could only get a T-34/85...might have to convert my big trumpeter tank!!
Beginner
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2005 - 06:24 PM UTC
Well I guess it's down to the Tiger 1 and Pershing. The Pershing has more features than the Tiger doesnt it? Is the Tiger easier to maintain than the Pershin (e.g. replacing batteries, less able to get stuff stuck in tracks)? I hear that it's a pain replacing batteries in the Pershing and you have to constantly push the wires back into the hull after swapping batteries.
Beginner
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 12:19 PM UTC
A question on the Pershing. Are the wires and all a good fit in the hull? Or do you really have to use some muscle to compress it together, put it in the hull, and then it has pressure on the hull? Is the hull metal?

Can someone please provide some links to some reviews of these tanks please? I can't seem to find any
SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 02:27 PM UTC
here is a link for ya
http://www.dansdata.com/pershing.htm
its a review on the pershing.

It is not hard to get the wires in the tank at all. just uses some creativity. i have wires that are taped down along different parts of the inside of the hull.

The wires for the turret just need to be in an ubobstructed area. the battery is a pain though. in order to remove you have to take four screws out. one in each hatch, and two near the rear. more of a pain than a problem. battery unplugs and plugs up very nicely. ill try to post some pictures of the interior of my pershing a little later.

Beginner
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 09:24 PM UTC
Is the model actually hard to build? Or is it just mainly time consuming? Could you also please show some photos of your finished model SgtDinkyduck? Can the turret do 360 degree turns? Thanks
TANKDUEL
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 105 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 09:45 AM UTC
Guys
With the Pershing,just remove the turret roller guide disk that sits above the battery compartment.Trust me,it makes no difference to turret rotation and the battery goes in/out easily with only one forward hatch screw loosened.
SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 01:30 PM UTC
wow thanks, never thought about that.

the model was not hard to build, fear of loosing screws and screwing up made me move pretty slowly on it. ill post some pics once i get the stowage on her.

schrauber
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 44 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 10:25 PM UTC
here is a build one, with T81 metal tracks and lot of spareparts ..... http://www.rcpanzer.de/apboard/thread.php?id=10087

regards axel
Col_Sabot
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 01:43 PM UTC
On my Pershing, I cut an opening in my speaker box to allow me to stuff the excess wires into. Didnt effect the sound but did allow me to have a lot more room to change out the battery.

There is only a few ways to wire manage with the Pershing. None are absolute perfect but we are tankers...

_GOTOTOP