_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dml Panzer 3
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 07:14 PM UTC
Howdy folks.
Well where to start had my eye on this for awhile had Hobby guy hold for me after recovering from buying Dw and PE. So is it better then Tamiyas or close
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 09:25 PM UTC
Tamiya's III chassis is very simplified, (I did their Stug III and the Panzer III which was out of box with no instrcutions) Remember, it was meant to be motorized. I'm working on 2 DML III variants right now, the Stug IIIa and the Sturminfantriegeshutz sig 33. These are far more advanced kits. Couple problems I discovered. Exhausts don't fall easily into place and do not match the locator holes on the sig 33.The last roadwheel on either side has to have its shock absorber positioned away from the locator hole or it will not sit flush to the ground. You need to cut of the locator pin from the shock absorber line up all the road wheels to a flat surface, then attach the shock. Remember. also, DML has individual tracks and Tamiya has rubber bands.

Hope this helps.
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 10:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tamiya's III chassis is very simplified, (I did their Stug III and the Panzer III which was out of box with no instrcutions) Remember, it was meant to be motorized.

Actually, that's only true for the very old Tamiya releases. Their recent PzIIIL kit is very finely detailed.

I'm not sure which variant of the PzIII you want to build.

I've built a DML Stug IIIB. That's an excellent kit. Very detailed, and lots of fun.
I'm working on the Revell rebox of DML's PzIIIJ (late). It's a good kit. Not as nice as the Stug, with some fiddly parts that require care. Nonetheless, a nice kit.

I have a few other DML PzIII and Stug kits in the box, and they are all nice. The Stug kits are all DML originals, and are better that way, with positionable torsion arms etc. All have indy links.

If you want to build an early PzIII, DML is the only game in town.
For a late PzIII, the Tamiya and Dragon kits are nice.

Andy
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 10:36 PM UTC
Hi Jeff, I only recently completed a DML Pz III Ausf J with Aber PEs. It is a plastic copy of the once Gunze Sangyo "Hi-Tech" kit I think. And it fits together really really well. And if I remember correctly it also comes with PE for the screens. The only thing need to watch out is that if you plan to build the J with the long 50 barrel, the length of plastic kit barrel is way too short, and need to be relaced with an AM one.

I have the DML Pz III Ausf K, M/N, SiG 33 on hold now, and also built the StuG III Ausf A. With a little more work than you will usually put into Tamiya's. They are great kits. Highly recommended.

HTH.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, September 06, 2002 - 10:38 PM UTC
I've got the new Tamiya PzKfw III and StuG III. Very nicely done and have nothing in common with their earlier offerings. I have not seen a DML PzKfw III or StuG III, but they are probably nice but not as easy to assemble as the Tamiya kits.

Big question for you Jeff is do you like doing single link or vinyl tracks? DML=single link, Tamiya=vinyl. And no, I don't have spare PzKfw III vinyl tracks.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2002 - 07:00 AM UTC
Jeff,
Which model PzIII are you looking at? If you plan on building several PzIII/StugIII from DML/Dragon, They are good kits. A little bit fiddly and you have to like single link tracks, but they build up into good looking models. Plus, there are a lot of Ausf. to choose from. I have several, but the only one I have build is the PzIIIG in DAK paint. Turned out rather nice. I kinda like the PzIII/StugIII series so I have gotten as many as I could find.
Linz
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 181 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2002 - 07:49 AM UTC
If you want an Ausf L, go Tamiya. If not, go DML/Dragon.

DML/Dragon reviews
Artillerie-Panzerbeobachtungswagen (Pz. III) Ausf. H Sdkfz. 143
Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf. E

Panzerkampwagen III Ausf. G, Sd. Kfz. 141

Panzerkampwagen III Ausf. J, Sd. Kfz. 141

PzKpfw. III Ausf. M/N Sd. Kfz. 141/2

Just for interests sake, there is a very nice StuG III series by DML/Dragon, Ausf B.
Stug III Ausf B

Tamiya revies:
Tamyia Ausf L.
Tamiya 35215 Panzer III Ausf. L

And again, a StuG III, this time an Ausf G (early).

Cheers,
Linz
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2002 - 08:17 PM UTC
Okay I will put a picture up here What about this one? Thanks for replies I did not know they made so many different ones #:-) .
Site says panzer III Ausf M/N. Sdkfz 141/2

Want a laugh they have the sherman listed as a stug IV early type. 9037 kit number

Between the Tiger I and The Panzer III I thought were the best looking tanks to come out ot that War.

So after reading the reviews this is no OOB model goosh for $31.00 and change you think it would be
Rob I love those indi links most likley get a set of Fruil's
and a big thanks to Linz for reviews.

So final is tell him to look for a panzer III M/N version from Tamiya Right Guys
And thanks again for all the replies.
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2002 - 09:54 PM UTC
The PzIIIN can be built from the Tamiya kit with extras required. You'd have to do some changes and probably invest in PE & resin.

The PzIIIM/N kit from DML is based on the old Gunze Sangyou chassis.
The kit is supposed to be quite good. I have seen it, and it's on par with the other DML PzIII kits.

Andy
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2002 - 09:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The PzIIIN can be built from the Tamiya kit with extras required. You'd have to do some changes and probably invest in PE & resin.

The PzIIIM/N kit from DML is based on the old Gunze Sangyou chassis.
The kit is supposed to be quite good. I have seen it, and it's on par with the other DML PzIII kits.

Andy

Thanks Andy
Have one for sale?
 _GOTOTOP