_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Hobby Craft (Trumpeter) T-59
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
Armorama: 692 posts
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2005 - 02:20 PM UTC
I saw one today going for $8 at Hobby Lobby and picked it up. Initial inspection and impressions are that it doesn't look too bad. Molding is relatively flash free and the turret has nice texturing. Has anyone built this? May seem I'm all over the place these days (E100, T-80, T-72, T-90, and now this!), but ya pick them up when ya see them!

Also, what's this I've read about the plastic used in Trumpeter kits being difficult to glue? Any ideas if it carries over to the Hobby Craft re-pops?
nfafan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2005 - 03:04 PM UTC
Depends on who you ask.

Back in the day, these were considered to be pretty decent kits of the T5X family.

Way back in the day, we had no T5X kit, save the rare motorized Tamiya T55 from the early 60's.

Then nada until Lindberg came out with their T55/Ti67 combo kit. Good enough for famished T55 fans waiting on DML's promised T5X kit.
Until ESCI came out with their T55's.

Lindy is long gone, and ESCI T55s are recently being re-popped by Italeri.

Then Trump hit the scene with their T5X kits, early ones being molded in ABS. Again, good enough. Supposedly they no longer use the ruggedized for motorized plastic in their kits.

Then Tamiya finally offered their T55, blew them all away. For a pre-Tamiya review, go here:

http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~TANK-GUY/KIT-REVIEW06.html
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2005 - 03:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Depends on who you ask.

Back in the day, these were considered to be pretty decent kits of the T5X family.

Way back in the day, we had no T5X kit, save the rare motorized Tamiya T55 from the early 60's.

Then nada until Lindberg came out with their T55/Ti67 combo kit. Good enough for famished T55 fans waiting on DML's promised T5X kit.

Lindy is long gone, and ESCI T55s are recently being re-popped by Italeri.

Then Trump hit the scene with their T5X kits, early ones being molded in ABS. Again, good enough. Supposedly they no longer use the ruggedized for motorized plastic in their kits.

Then Tamiya finally offered their T55, blew them all away. For a pre-Tamiya review, go here:

http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~TANK-GUY/KIT-REVIEW06.html

I figured there would be no comparison of the Trump/Hobby Craft kit to the Tamiya. But then is the Tamiya really 5 times better? It costs 5 xs more than what I paid for the Trump...
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2005 - 03:56 PM UTC
Also, weirdest thing, this is the only kit that I've ever had that has noticable mold release that needs to be cleaned off the parts. In some cases the parts are shiny with it. Oh well, some soap and water should take care of that.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2005 - 04:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Depends on who you ask.

You missed the Skif T-55

I built the Lindberg T-55 back in the early 1990s and was pleased with it. I built the Esci one in the mid 1990s (around 96-97) because the Big Lots close out stores had them on sale for $4.99 (later $2.99). Can't pass up a bargin. It was a pretty good kit, superior to the Lindberg issue.

I bought the T-59 around 2000 and it had the motorized components pre-affixed inside the hull. The plastic was slick and no amount of Simple Green, dish washing liquid or any other type of cleaner would take the greasy feel away. I ended up using Ambroid Pro Weld to assemble the tank with success.

Decent enough model as far as fit and detail. The motorization and plastic type were detractors, plus I paid like 3-4 times what I paid for an Esci kit (still under $20). Given a choice, I'd take an Esci/Italeri T-55 over the Trumpeter kit.

Bought a Skif T-55 when they first came out. Not an accuracy expert on the T-55, but the kit looked OK to me in the box. I've since learned that it is inaccurate and probably the worst of the bunch. I still plan to build it some day.
 _GOTOTOP