_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
sand or no sand?
Fuhrer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 09:50 AM UTC
After I applied the primer to my model, I then put on the base coat. After everything is all dried i realised that the coat of paint is sort of thick. Do I sand the model after the priming then do the base coat? or do I use more thinner with the primer, the next time I airbrush it?

also, do I wash the model after I prime it ? if yes, is there a special techinque?
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 10:03 AM UTC
Hey Fuhrer, sounds like you sprayed on the coats a little thick and heavy. Next time try spraying on a few light coats at a time. As for sanding, well many things can be done. Now this is what i would, i would strip of the paint. Sounds like you had just painted it so stripping it off would be easier than if it had harden many weeks. I like to strip paint using "Simple Geen". I buy it by the gallon @ $4-5 dollars at any auto parts store. Just dump in the simple green in a bucket and drop in the model and it starts to disolve in about an hour or two. Using an old tooth brush will help get in to the cracks and small places. This Simple Green will work just about on any paint and oils. It even removes chrome plating on model kits.
SlapHead
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 291 posts
Armorama: 184 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 09:30 PM UTC
Hi....you could strip it with a Dishwasher tablet....just add to a pint or two (no more) of wasm water an leave it overnight....works with mosst paints...or if its really tough car primer thats been on a while...put the model in a bag,,,apply gloves (YOU NEED TOO) and cover with some simple oven cleaner ...the spray on stuff from a can....wash off...STILL with GLOVES ON

AJ
TheMadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 206 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 11:02 PM UTC
i sanded a model once. i hated it. details can be damaged . and it did. try stripping it of. its much better than sanding
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 05:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i realised that the coat of paint is sort of thick. Do I sand the model after the priming then do the base coat?

I suppose the question to ask here is, "Are you looking for a method to fix the thick paint on the exisiting model or a way to avoid it in the future?

If it is a way to fix the problem, then using a stripper (and I like the oven cleaner method, m'self) is the way to go.

If it is a way to avoid the problem next time, then light coats of thinned primer will do the trick.

Which primer are you using and are you thinning it now?

Quoted Text

also, do I wash the model after I prime it ? if yes, is there a special techinque?

No, you wash BEFORE you prime. The point of the washing is to remove any oils and mold release that may be still on the model, thuus getting the paint to stick better.

HTH

Paul
Fuhrer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 87 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 03:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I suppose the question to ask here is, "Are you looking for a method to fix the thick paint on the exisiting model or a way to avoid it in the future?

If it is a way to fix the problem, then using a stripper (and I like the oven cleaner method, m'self) is the way to go.

If it is a way to avoid the problem next time, then light coats of thinned primer will do the trick.

Which primer are you using and are you thinning it now?

No, you wash BEFORE you prime. The point of the washing is to remove any oils and mold release that may be still on the model, thuus getting the paint to stick better.

HTH

Paul

I use model master primer and thinner.
When I try to airbrush a thin layer of paint or primer, I often miss a few spot. Is that the point? so that on my second coat, it will cover those spots i missed?

Also, hwo do you "wash" a model? do you just rinse it with water?
 _GOTOTOP