Hosted by Darren Baker
M15 Semi Trailer
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 07:24 AM UTC
This is Tamiya’s M15 Semi Trailer, and the build is dedicated to my good friend Cliff Hutchings aka "Brother Pouch". The trailer will eventually be posed in a roadside dio next to a bulldozer waiting to be loaded.

The trailer is a great build right out of the box, with minimal flash and excellent fit. This M15 is built oob with the only changes involving replacing the plastic deck pieces with thin wood strips. Some sewing thread replicates coiled rope on the front deck. This was a fun build of something a little bit different. To add some visual variety to the trailer I only covered one set of the rear wheels with the guards, and left the other set stored.

Thanks for looking.
Steve

DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 07:35 AM UTC
That's one really nice build. The level of dirt, rust etc; and the replaced decking / panles out of place - really makes it look more like a real 1:1 scale subject.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 07:47 AM UTC
I have said it before and I will say it again....fantastic! I really do wish I had your skill at painting Steve.
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 07:55 AM UTC
Wow, this is incredible!! I love the way you painted and weathered the tires. Can you tell us how you painted the wooden planks?
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 08:25 AM UTC
Brilliant! Love the weathering! One small nit pick....taking pics of real vehicles in studios and then trying to pass them off as models isn't really ethical. Well done Steve!

Vinnie
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 08:42 AM UTC
Howdy Steve,

Absolutely superb painting and weathering there sir!!!

I would post more comments but, it's hard to say them with my teeth clenched so tightly from being so bloody jealous....

Tread.
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 09:00 AM UTC
Dave, Roo, Paul, Lord Tread, Vinnie

Thanks so much for the kind words, --- I really appreciate you taking the time to post replies, (especially when they come from an elite group of modelers such as yourselves).

Paul--- Tamiya supplies rubber tires with this kit. For starters, I have always had good luck giving the tires an initial base coat of Model Railways Tarnished Black #MR20128. Then dry brush with a light colored mud, followed by an application of a dark wash. One can stop there if satisfied, or continue on by applying additional mud/dirt washes and dustings

For some reason these particular tires were real stinkers to get them to where I wanted them to be (still not 100% satisfied with the look of the rims by the way).

Thanks again.
STeve
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 09:33 AM UTC
Wow,
Great looking trailer. Two things really stand out, the undertone of rust and the wood.

What was the process with the rust?
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 681 posts
Armorama: 452 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 10:44 AM UTC
I have been trying to get that faded paint effect for awhile because it adds to the realizm to the model. How did you do that. The over all texture just jumps off the page. What weathering agents did you use because there are alot out there and I was just wondering if you used chalk or Mig Pigments?

Not to sound repetative but this is a awsome model and thanks for sharing it with use. Can not wait to see the bulldozer.

Happy Modeling
(++) #1:35
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 11:25 AM UTC
Simply beautiful Steve. The build and finish is even better than your last build. You have mastered the finishing for sure. I can't wait to see it on the base with the dozer and all.
Robster
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
KitMaker: 386 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 11:37 AM UTC
Perfect rust + Perfect weathering = Awesome trailer.
Good job Steve.

Greetz Rob!
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 12:15 PM UTC
mmhmm,
Verie nices.Will you have it hitched to a DW or on its landing gear? (++) (++)
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 12:20 PM UTC
Dang Steve that just looks awesome, and I mean like biblical sense of the word here. How did you do the rust and when are you going to do the cab?
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 12:51 PM UTC
Dude
That is one awsome trailer (++) (++)
TUNA
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 449 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 02:21 PM UTC
Wow Steve.. you are becoming the 'Weathering master"..

I love that wood!
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 651 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 02:39 PM UTC
All I can say is - sweet! Great job!
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 03:01 PM UTC
I appreciate the comments from all who have posted--thanks!

Tom asked about the paint/weathering.

This trailer was finished using multiple airbrushed paint colors, many overall applications of various washes, and dry brushing.

For the base coat, I preshaded with Model Master Green Drab.

Next, a light overall spray of MM Olive Drab.

Next a light spot painting here and there with Model Master Russian Armor Green (not too much of this however).

Then an overall thinned dark wash is airbrushed on.

For weathering, I use MM Rail brown, Camo Brown, and rust.

Dry brush with MM Dunklegelb.

Finishing includes numerous washes with Rustall. Rustall runs around $15 and provides four bottles of product. One is a rust wash, a dark India ink wash, a clear matte, and a very very fine dust.

I also use a product called Weather All - Real Rust.

For this trailer, there are probably 20 differnt coats of paint, dry brushing, overall washings, and locational pin washings. I use a small hair dryer to dry the model between coats, and basically painted/weathered this one over two long evenings.

The multiple coats appear to provide depth and some color variety for the eye.

Sorry if I got long winded here, but I again want to thank you for your comments, and for asking.

Steve
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 03:20 PM UTC
Steve thy master of thy Colour we love,
That trailer just looks like the real thing. I really liked the extra detail of adding the planks of wood.
Can't wait to see the dio
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 12:24 AM UTC
Excellent Job Steve. IMO, your best and most relistic paint job yet. All the layers of paint and weathering give the effect you´re looking for ... good depth and a natural finish. Your plank treatment adds another fine touch. Overall this is excellent!. Looking forward to seeing the dio completed!
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 07:04 AM UTC
I say I must agree with everybody else, this is totally beautiful, the only question I have, cause this is before my time, did they make that tread plate out of anything besides aluminum, I know all I ever seen it in was aluminum, but that doesn't mean there never existed another kind, and what they had back then I have no idea, cause that is a few years before I was born.

Then I wonder if that is aluminum, then did they know to clean it like they do today, it is some kind of acid base, but not that harmful, now you would want to wash it off, butt, it won't eat right through you, they mix it with water at the truck washes now a days, then spray it on, then it turns the aluminum all white looking just as soon as it hits the aluminum, then after they do that then you can buff it to a mirror finish if you got that much ambition, but 99.9 % leave it white like I did.

Maybe somebody else can answer the question about whether or not it was made out of steel to. Cause you would haft to lay an awful lot of rusty things down on it to get it looking that rusty, if it wasn't made out of steel.
Kerry
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 10:54 AM UTC
Kerry all the treadplate in those days was made out of steel. It came in different thicknesses as well.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 01:02 PM UTC
I'll be, I suspected it, but never knew for sure, like now all I ever seen it in, was aluminum, and never seen anything with the steel on it, and I thought I had seen tons of old stuff. Thank you Cliff for refreshing my memory.

Kerry
 _GOTOTOP