_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Small Scale
Dioramas of subjects smallers than 1/32 scale.
Hosted by Darren Baker
More jar lids projects..
Francisco
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 343 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 10:22 AM UTC
Well folks I tried this new technique to make a tree...It looks a bit out of scale but it was a fair attempt..I'm thinking about putting one of those germans riding his horse from the revell artillery set talking to a wounded fallschirmjager from the heller set...

The other ruins little dio will have 3 fallschirmjager in an action scenario: 1 firing, 1 runing to help and another one operating the radio (all from the heller set) . I'm thinking of adding a propaganda poster on the wall and maybe scratchbuilding a drainage pipe along the wall also.

I need some input here about the overall looks and some advice on improving it please, I know this is the right place, even when it comes to small scale

And this a tree made of wire+plaster with a first coat of brown

Occam
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 190 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 10:29 AM UTC
I like the idea to use jar lids as bases, easy and cheap! :-)

Could you describe how you made the two kinds of trees?

Very nicely painted German soldier by the way!
Francisco
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 10:44 AM UTC
Thank you for your comment

Well the wire tree was made according to the article in the Features corner...The other one was done by using a small tree branch as main trunk, covered it with steel wool to give it some shape wich was then covered with oregons (spell?)...it all still needs some paint but more on that later
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 11:02 AM UTC
The wall is great. I like it a lot.
The wire tree is good too. Very well done. It could use some extra washes to give it a bit of color (maybe a dark green or so). Maybe some drybrushing too.

The full tree is a bit off. You're right it's a bit big. I think its a bit to packed also. maybe loosen up the the lichen (underneth) material a bit before adding the herbs. I like to see through a tree a little bit
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 08:49 PM UTC
I love seeing creative and adaptive ways to add to the hobby... while I often make a base from plaster poured into various plastic container shapes, I never thought of using a jar lid... excellent idea!
Francisco
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 02:54 AM UTC
Thank you for you nice comments..I agree with slodder although I think the major issue with the tree is that it's trunk is too thin so it looks like a ball in a stick

cyaz
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 05:00 AM UTC
Got to go with Slodder and Francisco on the tree,needs to be more open/less dense.Oregano is great,but needs to be painted a little or preserved as it will turn yellow if left alone.Tree height might be OK after opening it up.
The wall is great and well done.
Keep going!
 _GOTOTOP