_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
M48A3 Track Construction
kf8xo
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 114 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2002 - 04:11 AM UTC
Gentlemen,

I cannot find a clear enough pic of M48 tracks and need a question answered. Is there any rubber on these links anywhere? Any good pics of how other modelers have finished these tracks. I am using the included vinyl track and have gotten some gunmetal as per the instructions for the primary basecoat. Most of the photos I have found that CLEARLY show the tracks are in black and white and don't help me much. As always, thanks in advance!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2002 - 07:03 AM UTC
M48A3 tracks are the same tracks currently used on M88A1 recovery vehicles. Check out my motorpool in the gallery and look for the Misc Armored Vehicles, or may be it's in the folder with the M109. The track blocks are rubber. The metal parts are the end connectors (those little things on the end that connect two blocks together) and the center guides (the two-pronged "teeth" in the middle of the track and the backside of the centerguide, see from the treaded portion of the track). The tread portion and inner surface that the road wheels ride on are rubber. I have a whole side of that type of track laid out in my motorpool, too bad I never got around to snapping a shot of it.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Monday, September 09, 2002 - 09:35 AM UTC
Here's a few more pics.: M48

Here's a nice build of the model: Vietnam Armor
Here's a wonderful shot of the tracks!: Ron Fieseler's Images
 _GOTOTOP