Hosted by Darren Baker
faux 6x6 canvas?
K9-MP
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 07:14 AM UTC
What material is most commonly used to create the canvas top on the 6x6? I would like to use the "sides rolled up" look.

thanks,

chris
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 07:34 AM UTC
I use Tissue paper (Kleenex) soaked in a 50/50 solution of white glue and water. I wet the tissue with this and let it stand for a while. When it is about to set up I would roll up the sides. I some times will put the tissue on the model dry and wet it with a flat paint brush and shape it as I go. I know that our Mr. Roo uses actual cloth to make his superb canvas tops.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 08:12 AM UTC
I often use fine weave cloth getting it into the shape I want and then running liquid super glue into it to "set' it! after this it can be painted in the normal way.
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 11:45 AM UTC
I too have used tissue paper, rolled into shape and then liquid superglue allowed to soak it by capilliary action and set it.

Vinnie
K9-MP
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 07:16 AM UTC
thanks for the tips...think i'll try the cloth first. It seems more "forgiving to newbies". I assume that trying to find a piece that is already close to olive drab is preferable to starting with, say white or grey?

The one agreement seems to be that painting is done only after all the shaping and gluing. Correct?

Chris
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 07:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I assume that trying to find a piece that is already close to olive drab is preferable to starting with, say white or grey?

The one agreement seems to be that painting is done only after all the shaping and gluing. Correct?

Chris

no any color is OK as long as it is small close weave. In fact what I use is a piece of old blue summerweight bed sheet. While this is a little oversize it still looks the part.

and yes painting is done after the shaping and fitting and drying of the glue.

cheers
Cliff
 _GOTOTOP