_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
extra armour on pz iv
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 03:04 PM UTC
I am building tamiya's old PZ IV Ausf d and adding teh applique armour to teh side and front. My quetsion is should there be a bit of space between this extra armour (specifically the side armour) or should I fill it in so there are no gaps. My meager refrences do not show a top side view.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 05:36 PM UTC
I would have to say no space because this is what I found on the Pz IV:

New features on the Aust D included an external gun manlet, with 35mm armour shield, a gimbalmounted hull machine gun in an armoured mount housing, and a distinctive staggered front superstructure with the driver set forward. While this was the basic Pzkpfw Ausf D of 1940, there were many later retrospective modifications, and these included the fitting of anew pattern drive sprocket, wider tracks longer tracks and extra armour (30mm front, 20mm sides) in the from of plates bolted to the superstructure.
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 09:35 PM UTC
Kencelot is right the armor was bolted on so there should be no space.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 11:22 PM UTC
The added armor plate on the superstructure sides was bolted directly to the existing armor plate. The extra armor plate added to the front of the driver and radio operators stations was spaced off of the these locations.
See "PzKpfw IV in action" by Squadron/Signal publications "Armor #12", page 11 & 15
 _GOTOTOP