Dioramas: Buildings & Ruins
Ruined buildings and city scenes.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Balsa Wood
Kar98K
KitMaker: 126 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 08:08 AM UTC
Does anyone have a site or article that is about building w/ balsa wood. Technices, pictures, anything to do w/ building balsa wood.
DANKE
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 11:16 AM UTC
Hi Nick, don't really have any sites but if you search this site for- blockhaus- he has some amazing work and reference material. Building with balsa or basswood, [ slightly harder than balsa ] is approached like building the real thing. Everything has to be square and level or somewhere along the build things just won't align and it will look wrong. Get yourself a decent hobby saw and miter box and just start stick framing a building. There are many sizes and shapes of balsa so depending on the scale you wish to build in hold a piece of it next to a figure and guesstamate to see if it looks like a 2x4 ,4x4 etc. Doorways, windows and story height can be estimated by saying ok this fig is 6ft so a 10ft floor to ceiling would be the fig plus roughly 1/3 of the guy. Also don't forget the 2nd story flooring added on top of your fist floor in your measurement. Basically it helps to have construction or architectural exp. Good luck and remember this site has a wealth of information just explore.-Cheyenne
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 06:39 PM UTC
Hi, here is a link to an article I did with the buildings being made of balsa. it should help you out.
http://dioramas.armorama.com//features/374
Hope it helps. Cheers Kevin
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 - 12:13 AM UTC
Hello
Kevin explains perfeclty how you can make a balsa wood building.
My way is similar .
First I make a box like structure with carboard and afther I glued strips of balsa in it. roof tiles are ilttle bits of wood glued also in the structureThe result is this:

hope that this help you
Carlos
piwi
Visit this Community
Nord, France
KitMaker: 712 posts
Armorama: 558 posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 - 05:17 AM UTC
It seems to be a huge question ! Exactly as you asked for a site to explain scratchbuilt ! may be you could check on different sites whitch give Tips !
Kar98K
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 - 12:28 PM UTC
Thanks guys. Cheyenne's dio is what gave me the itch to build with balsa. Jackhammer you article is very useful. Thanks again.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 - 05:05 PM UTC
Check out the model railroad magazines at the LHS. Most mags will contain plans for building various styles of buildings in HO scale. Just double the dimensions and you will have close to 1/35th.
Kar98K
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 04:20 PM UTC
Thanks all. I think i am going to build like you cheyanne. I love that dio you are building.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 11:45 PM UTC
Thanks Nick thats quite a compliment, hopefully I'll have updates this wknd the bribge is almost done but I still have a long way to go.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2005 - 10:05 AM UTC
Another question is "why balsawood"... it's great for certain things, like flooring, furniture, support rafters, etc., but if you are doing a wooden building, I suggest Balsa FOAM.... sold in sheets of varying size, and easy as chalk to carve. I have done several buildings that simulate both wood, mortar, AND brick out of the same piece... and the stuff is very cheap (and of course, availalbe on my website!)

You can view more pictures in MY GALLERY-> French Chappel Ruin

_GOTOTOP