_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Critique Forum?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 03:45 AM UTC
I have noted the popularity of constructive critique (or criticism) forums on other sites and had several inquiries through email and pm's on this lately. I know that anyone could post a thread in the appropriate forum asking for a critique or helpful suggestions on their work. My question is: Is the current system working, or do we need a place where people can post their images (or link their pics), and be assured of getting helpful comments?

I wouldn't have any problem setting this up if users are for it.

Some examples of this on other sites:

Hotwash

ML's Constructive Comments

Thanks,
Jim
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 03:58 AM UTC
Sounds like a good idea to give a try. I think, perhaps, the Moderators of this new forum could check from time to time to remove dead links too - for modelers who only use photo hosting sites for a brief period of time.

Gunnie
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 04:09 AM UTC

I like the idea of a critique forum, but I think it should be a place where people know that they are going to get honest appraisals of their work. Not that people should be mean and not encouriging though...

Too many sites just have what I would call "looks good" sites. I hope to post pix of something I have been working on soon. I don't want to hear anyone tell me it sucks but things I could improve or what I might try on my next model. To me, that's more helpful than just praise.

I'm used to critiques of artwork and it can hurt when something isn't well recieved. But sometimes you learn more when you are able to look at your own work honestly.

Steve

Steve
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 04:16 AM UTC
Heir Heir !!

Sounds like a perfect ida to me Jim. I've been doing some paint work lately and it ...... well let's say it doesn't look too good to me. Using such a forum could help me out...

If ya need another moderator for it, i'd be happy to join active service.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 04:26 AM UTC
Sounds to be a good idea Jim. A specific location were we can post the ole "What Do You Think" posts.
I also think that the person asking for the advice or constructive criticism or what have you, should be (me included ) more concise as to what he or she wants others to look at.
i.e. The paint job, the weathering. too much of this or too much or too little of that? It's difficult to get the feedback you're looking for if you don't ask what it is you're looking for.
It's great to get the "in-the-middle-of-the-build" advice, before one completes a project. That way, one will have a chance to correct the "critiqued" item(s).
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 04:44 AM UTC
Jim - that is a good idea. I think that it will help out a great deal. Sniper does have a good point. If the moderator can encourage honest full feedback and then a sidebar chat for back and forth dialog that will help keep forcus on the purpose of the forum.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 04:45 AM UTC
I agree. Whenever I post pics of my work, I'm looking for constructive criticism. The "looking good" posts are nice, but don't tell me how I can improve my skills.
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 05:56 AM UTC
Jim, you know I like the idea because we've discussed it before. Like someone said above, the people who post their work there for constructive criticism need to understand that that's what their going to get. I love constructive criticism but as with the case in most forums, openly criticizing a model is frowned upon while some people are hesitant to point something out that needs improvement because of an adverse reaction from the person making the original post. I think as long as everyone understands the basic rules of the forum it would be great. Gunnie makes good points too about the moderators. Beligerant or degrading posts should be dealt with swiftly and threads with dead links should be removed.
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 05:58 AM UTC
I also have to agree Jim,

I must say, I feel flatered that I get so many "good job" responces, and I know at least a dozen things I could do better, but I wonder if people are not to afraid to give (positive) remaks. I know I won't mind getting them.

#:-)
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 06:26 AM UTC
I think it's a good idea! ... As long as the criticism is constructive.

I got a lot of good feedback about my Bulldog... But I still feel that there's something people didn't like about it, or that they thought could be better. I want to know what that is.

YodaMan
clovis899
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 774 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 07:14 AM UTC
Jim,

That would be a great idea. I wonder if it would work to have it limited to unfinished models only, the site already has a gallery for finished kits, right? Of course, you can argue that folks want C/C to help with their next kit. Either way, I think it would be great.

Rick Cooper
insert catchy signature line here
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 07:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I also have to agree Jim,

I must say, I feel flatered that I get so many "good job" responces, and I know at least a dozen things I could do better, but I wonder if people are not to afraid to give (positive) remaks. I know I won't mind getting them.

#:-)

Frankly - this does concern me. Asking for open critique is like opening Pandora's Box. Some say they're looking for the "good and the bad" but I see a lot of sour coming with the bad. Any armchair modeler can cut down another one's work - and offer a bunch of advise read from someone else's book or from an imagination bigger than their own skills. Those willing to step up to the plate to offer criticism are seldom the same who put there work(s) out there to be seen. Not say that would happen here at the BigA - but human beings aren't easily predictable creatures...

I think the idea, like the notice for the off-topic forums, is a good one - with a little forewarning. Tin Can (thanks Bryan) hit my sentiments on the head.

You might consider calling this new place "Thunderdome" - to borrow the title from Mad Max...

Gunnie

(Man - see all those avatars wavin', cryin', smiling, and stuff...)
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 08:17 AM UTC
Not sure if this is feasible or even a good idea, but what about a gallery/show-off your work forum and maybe a sub-forum for critiques? Either way, I think the forewarning is a good idea and it is just criticism and not slamming on people.
My 2 cents.
Josenhans
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 46 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 08:36 AM UTC
I like the Idea, there are a lot of "check my new stuff" threads posted so it would gather all those under a specialized forum. If it gets a bad review oh well, we can take it right? besides, rude behavior I'm sure will be remembered when that person put's their model up.

How about a vote to see the numbers, so far it looks like we want one.
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 08:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You might consider calling this new place "Thunderdome" - to borrow the title from Mad Max...

Gunnie, we could always call it 'Smackdown"...lol, just kidding!
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 09:19 AM UTC
HAve to agree. Where to Post larger pics too? (:-)

Love that santa guy
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 11:08 AM UTC
I think it's a good idea. There are indeed enough threads out there to warrant one. I, personally, don't think we have to worry about rude comments or slamming someone's work. I have never seen anything other than constructive and kind comments on this site, whether it be for somebody elses model or my own. I agree that getting some advice is helpful, but we shouldn't discourage those "nice job" posts. It's good to see that other people like your work, plus they usually follow it up with some hilarious comment......

Nic
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 04:18 PM UTC
I was just thinking about this tonight since I am about to post a "what do you think" post. Great idea for a couple reasons already listed

1. Organize all the threads in one place and people know where to post them.
2. A warning that you are asking to an objective opinion on your work, not just a pat on the back.

I don't think that there will be a problem with people being rude but adding a warning against doing it may be a good idea, something similar to the new OT threads. This would add a lot to the site in my opinion, go for it.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 04:40 PM UTC
I for one would be very interested in a construction only forum. As in a place where people can show photos of their model at different stages. Like what envar did, when he was building his schwimwagen dio. Also the dragon wagen dio are examples of what I mean. There is already a gallery for finished models.
For me it so easy to see what people are talking about at each stage rather than talk about it only when they show a finished model.
Just my opinion
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 09:03 AM UTC
Guys,
Thanks for the feedback. It looks like this would be a good idea if done correctly.

So now what do we call it??

Jim
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 09:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Guys,
Thanks for the feedback. It looks like this would be a good idea if done correctly.

So now what do we call it??

Jim

Well, since "Thunderdome" and "Smackdown" have been taken by popular groups already - what about "Builder's Circle" since the idea is for covering a model project from beginning to end...

Gunnie
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 10:44 AM UTC
"Desktop Critiques"
"Builder's Betterment"
"Ad Melius Inquirendum"
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 05:23 PM UTC
"Critiques Corner"
"Rapid Reaction Force"
"Task Force 4 U"
"Wandering Thoughts"
"The Foxhole"
"Firing Squad"
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 06:36 PM UTC
HI

I like the idea. A name The Court House

That forum can have perhaps a three or four moderators that can consult between them before 'deleting' some more flamming posts. Jim, if you need I'm available.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 09:07 PM UTC
Since you put your model out there in the open to let others have their best shot at it ... I'd suggest "target tange".
 _GOTOTOP