_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman IIIAY complete
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 03:54 AM UTC
There were only 5 of these delivered to the British, and of these one is in the Tank Museum at Bovington. That one bears spurious markings, and so does my model!
I used the Dragon M4A2 turret and hull, with the HVSS suspension and track from the Academy M51. I added typical British extras such as the turret rear box, rack and fire extinguishers.
The markings are those of the 6th Guards Tank Brigade, as they were an experienced Sherman unita nd would have been likely to have received these if they had gone into service (presumably if the Centurion had been a failure!)

More pics in my gallery
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 04:31 AM UTC
Looks pretty good. Tracks looks too silvery-gray for my tastes though.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 04:37 AM UTC
Very nice conversion Dave Any problems putting on the Academy suspension onto the DML hull?
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 07:03 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys -

Gino - I think it's the photos, they're actually deep red/gunmetal, just the drybrush is perhaps a little heavy!

Chad, so long as you use the rivet/bolted back plates to mount the bogies on then it's just a case of trimming back the location pegs on the Academy bogie units. The hardest part is getting the return rollers in the right place - I took three tries!

As you can probably guess the leftovers from this conversion formed the major part of the MDAP Sherman posted seperately!
 _GOTOTOP