_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1Abrams Questions??
SgtWilhite
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 470 posts
Armorama: 362 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2005 - 06:18 AM UTC
Two (2) quick Abrams questions. What is a Hoffman device? And, in placing a spare road wheel on the turret of the tank, where exactly did they go and how was it held in place? Thanks.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2005 - 06:32 AM UTC
The Hoffman device is a series of short tubes mounted over the gun for simulating the main gun firing during training with MILES gear. They pack it with something equivalent to an m-80 and it is fired when the gunner pulls the main trigger.

The roadwheel is typically attached in two places. The first is in front of the manhole cover. There are four bolt holes for mounting the turret removal eyelet. They will pull out a bolt from there and put it through one of the lug holes in the roadwheel.

The second will be on the bustle rack, usually on the sides of the rear part. Here they are held on by a spare track. center link.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2005 - 06:50 AM UTC
Some units have taken to mounting the Hoffman on the turret towards the front. Easier to install and remove and makes for quicker and easier reloading. The charge is about the equivalent of a 1/4 stick of dynamite. Lots of fun to use for "other" means. Heh heh. "Q"
BlackThor_06
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 200 posts
Armorama: 114 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2005 - 06:52 AM UTC
Very timely!

Regarding the spare track center link, how would that look like installed in the bustle rack? Any images?

Thanks.

BT6
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2005 - 06:59 AM UTC
Imagine it with a bolt going through the roadwheel lug hole.

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2005 - 07:06 AM UTC
The Hoffman devices uses artillery simulators to simulate tank fire during exercises. The location of the Hoffman has changed during the various types of Abrams tanks that used them.

The original M1 and M1IP tanks mounted them on the bore evacuator on the 105mm main gun as was done on the M60A1/M48A5/M60A3 tanks previously.

When the M1A1 with the larger diameter 120mm main gun came into use, the Hoffman was relocated just forward of the manhole cover located on the forward left side of the turret.

When the M1A2 was fielded, the CIT-V field of vision would have been impared by the Hoffman mounted in front of it. Because of this, the Hoffman was relocated directly over the mantlet of the main gun.

For simplicity's sake, most of the Hoffman mounts have been modified to mount over the mantlet.

The location of the Hoffman is not a unit preference decision. It would be based on what the MILES warehouse issues to the units (units do not own MILES or Hoffmans). An installation that has any M1A2s would most likely only have the mantlet mounted Hoffmans. Another installation that only has M1A1s would have either type.
BlackThor_06
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 200 posts
Armorama: 114 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2005 - 07:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Imagine it with a bolt going through the roadwheel lug hole.

Hey cool, that was pretty quick.
Thanks.

BT6
SgtWilhite
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2005 - 08:08 AM UTC
Would anyone happen to know where I can see a picture showing both of the questions I asked? I appreciate the ifo. It is very helpful.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2005 - 09:03 AM UTC
Yeah, but it will have to wait till get home.
SgtWilhite
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2005 - 09:07 AM UTC
Okay, no rush. I'm getting ready to go to work......I'd look some up myself...Thanks.
 _GOTOTOP