_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
View count and comments
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 11:39 AM UTC
Hi Jim, just was wondering if you did away with the view count and comments section of the photo gallery? went looking around just now and noticed it was gone. cheers Kevin
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 12:04 PM UTC
Kevin,
PhotoPost (the gallery) is becoming more and more of a drain on system resources. I am experimenting with settings to see if fewer queries to the database will reduce the overhead. To be honest I don't see a whole lot of commenting going on and as for image view counts....do they really mean much to the average user?

Thanks,
Jim
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 02:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

PhotoPost (the gallery) is becoming more and more of a drain on system resources. I am experimenting with settings to see if fewer queries to the database will reduce the overhead.

Holy smokes. No wonder it's becoming a drain. I just went in to make a count of how many images are in there now. 60563!!!

Did you ever think that it would become this large? Any plans in the near future for how to manage this Jim? What if PhotoPost was on it's own server?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 02:53 PM UTC
Ken,
That is one possibility. A gallery.armorama.com domain perhaps. I remember thinking when we setup PhotoPost that hopefully when we got to 50,000 photos it would work better than the old gallery did (which was barely above 8,000 when we had to quit using it).

And actually the "Member Photos" total should be the correct complete total of photos in the gallery as all photos are associate to a user account of some kind. So in other words some of the photos in the Member Galleries also show up in the other galleries.

Cheers,
Jim
 _GOTOTOP