_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
UN Vechiles, colors, and weapons...
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 11:13 AM UTC
I was thinking about doing a cargo truck that was used by the UN, when they were in Somalia was it??? Right before Black Hawk Down took place. What I was wondering is were any 5ton trucks used during this operation. Such as the Italeri 5ton trucks.

Another thing I was wondering is what is a good color to use for the White color.

Another thing I was wondering is was the M249 used during this time?

thanks,
Mike
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 08:18 PM UTC
Mike,
The M925 and M923 5Tons were used by US forces under UN auspice in Somalia. They were used by US Marines, the US Army's 24th Infantry and 10th Mountain Divisions, and US Special Ops (Rangers and Delta). US vehicles are not painted white during UN operations. The trucks are either painted sand for desert environs or left camo. Both paint schemes were seen in Somalia. I do not know of any other countries using the BMY chasis 5Ton truck.
Secondly, the M249 SAW (Squad Automatic Weapon) was used during this time. The newer A1 version was being fielded about '93. Though most units still had the older version with a telescopic butt plate. This type is the version included with most modern and desert storm era DML figure sets. The Modern Army Special Forces set by DML includes the M249A1 with solid butt stock.
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 04:45 AM UTC
Thanks for the info. I have the DML Weapons set so I dont have to worry about getting that. And were any of the cargo trucks ever painted white?

Mike
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 05:02 AM UTC
Mike,
No, the US Forces do not paint our equipment white for UN operations. Kind of a pride thing that we retain our own colors and markings on our vehicles. They will usually have some type of "UN" marked on them somewhere though. UN in black on sand vehicles and white on camo vehicles.
stavka2000
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 120 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 07:26 AM UTC
And just for reference,

Other UN countries have been known to keep their vehicles in their own colors when they are part of rapid reaction units.

Examples are in Bonia as part of SFOR.

Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2002 - 06:36 AM UTC
Ok thanks guys, just one more question. Were there any kind of UN trucks that were painted white, besides the Panhard VBL?

Mike

_GOTOTOP