Hosted by Darren Baker
M10 gun tower and M36B1
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 01:43 AM UTC
Wasn't sure whether to post these or not, then I thought why not give everyone an opportunity to rip'em apart.
The M10 gun tower is Extratech's M36 with the turret removed and the original M10 engine deck left in place. The markings are hand-painted apart from the stars and represent 59(Newfoundland) Heavy Regiment RA, 3AGRA, 2nd SArmy 1944. The gun is OOB Hasegawa.
The M36B1 is Eduard's M4A3 with the turret from the M36.
Considering the reuptation of both companies I found the fit and level of detail of these kits dissappointing. Both are obviously from the same moulds for the lower hull and suspension.

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 02:38 AM UTC
They both look great, although I was wondering about the word "tower" in your subject title. I was seeing "tower" as in guard tower, Eiffel Tower, etc.

We usually call them "prime movers" or tractors.

Any way, I have both kits. Your comments are making me wonder about the cost of the models. Comapred to a quality Dragon kit that is only about $8. The M36 cost me three times as much and the Sherman was about $20.

Is the base from the old Matchbox series?

Also I think the M10 conversion is called the M35 prime mover. Too bad the Tank Terror organizers snubbed us. You'd have had one dandy entry.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 04:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Any way, I have both kits. Your comments are making me wonder about the cost of the models. Comapred to a quality Dragon kit that is only about $8. The M36 cost me three times as much and the Sherman was about $20.

Is the base from the old Matchbox series?

Also I think the M10 conversion is called the M35 prime mover. Too bad the Tank Terror organizers snubbed us. You'd have had one dandy entry.

If I were to make any more small scale Shermans I'd use the suspension from the Italeri kit, far superior to these. Both the detail and the assembly are better. The tools are rubbish, I used them on the tractor but left them off of the M36. Most of the other detail is nowhere near as good as even the old Esci kits. For the money these things cost they are c**p.

The base is from the Matchbox M19 that I made for the 'Heavy Haulers' campaign.

The M35 was a 'proper' conversion, the M10 Gun Tower was simply an M10 or M10A1 left over from the '"Achilles" modifications with the turret removed. Unlike the M35 it wasn't fitted with compressors or any other extra equipment.

Thanks for the comments Rob.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 12:22 PM UTC
How's the M4A3 turret? Usable on the old Esci M4A1?

It it possible to easily add the M4A3 upper hull to the Esci Sherman to get an M4A3 75mm?
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 01:21 PM UTC
Well Dave, i dont know why u were so worried about showing us these, because they are excellent!
the weathering, shading and highlighting is great, especially for 1/72!
great job mate!
cheers
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 06:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How's the M4A3 turret? Usable on the old Esci M4A1?

It it possible to easily add the M4A3 upper hull to the Esci Sherman to get an M4A3 75mm?

The turret is a bit of a mix as well. It has the extra cheek armour as a seperate part, and alternative commanders hatches or cupola. For the version with the cupola it doesn't have the thickened cheek moulded in so it would have to be added with filler for a true late version.
As for the turret/hull fit on other chassis- I don't know as I haven't tried it.

David, thanks for the compliments
 _GOTOTOP