_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
My Italery Sherman is ready ...
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 06:32 AM UTC
At last

I have tinkered for ever on that thing but now I consider it done.
It is my first attempt to build a tank after a 15 year stop and I very well know that there are a million things that could/should be better, but it is a start.

Just click on my banner and go to models

Let me know what you think, I need to learn

#:-)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 07:04 AM UTC
Not bad Ronny! I noticed a loose track link on the front of the track run - left side in front of the Drive Sprocket that you want to secure again. I read you had trouble with them in your captions.

The sandbags are ambitious, they look OK from what I can see - General Patton would have surely reprimanded you for such a heavy load!

A suggestion: cut down on the use of pure silver to simulate wear. It indicates freshly (very freshly) chipped paint off polished metal in raw form. Worn paint and scuffs can be simulated with darker colors more effectively for the scale.

Gunnie
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 07:15 AM UTC
Tnx for the reply gunnie,

You are right about he silver, problem is, once it on the you (almost) cant hide it anymore

I have got my self the Humbrol polysteel paint now and I have noticed it is not so bright as the plain silver, so next time I try that (mixed with a little black?)
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 10:10 AM UTC
On my first attempt at chipped paint, I didn't like the looks of the first chips so I mixed up a different colour and went right over top of the old ones. It turned out pretty good. If you really feel like it, you could do that with your tank, Ronny. Pretty solid piece of work, except for those darn vinyl tracks. It's probably just the pictures, but the green looks a little intense to me.

Nic
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 03:34 PM UTC
Ronny,

Good building.

I've got a question. It seems to me that the star on the turret is a bit more damaged than the rest of the turret. Therefore it looks a bit out of balance to me.

This is not crytics, just a written version of my perception. I don't have much reference knowledge as it comes to tanks, so I can be way off-line here..... Does my perception makes sence, or is it something I have to adjust ?

Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 04:20 PM UTC
Hi Eagle,

You are correct about the stars on the turret, the have to much damage.

I don't really understand how this happened, I used Verlinden Dry Transfers for the turret stars and I did put a "little" damage on them (scratches and peeling). I even sealed them in using Humbrol varnish, but after I put the wash on the model I seems that they where softened somehow, because when I drybrushed it, little pieces of the transfer came of, making it worse then I wanted it to be

To be honest with you, the only thing I really like about the model is my sandbags and rack, the mud, and because it is my first airbrushing job the smoothness of the paint. In time it will get better I promis #:-)

Ronny
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 09:50 AM UTC
Looks Nice!
I'm wrestling with the same model myself. I wish I would have bought the PE set for mine though, everything seems really chunky. I also had a problem with painting mine, it seems that I left the AB mix set in the bottle for a little too long, and the pigment separated. Now I have a multicolored sherman. I'm still contemplating different tracks, but I don't have the patience for the workable type yet.
Nice work.

John
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2002 - 07:18 PM UTC

Ditto on the tracks and things Gunnie said. I too have this model on the way but I am going to knock her out chunky parts and all maybe a little PE no sandbags. I liked the article on the roof tiles. But lead sheet is hard to find plumbers use it for shower pans have an article on sandbags made with tissue from an FSM mag if you want it. Maybe you would like to try AFV club tracks? Overall a great model and good site (:-)
 _GOTOTOP