_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Campaigns
Group builds and online competetions. Join the fun!
Hosted by Darren Baker
First dio and first model attempt
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,161 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2005 - 03:50 PM UTC
I posted this in the Campaign forum already as this is completed for the Tank Terror Campaign. I also wanted to post it in here to get other comments, suggestions, tips etc for my own knowledge. Plus, I'm proud of myself for my first dio and first build and wanna show it off, warts and all. lol

It's called "Dug In & Determined..." showing a PAK40 crew, after a long time in the field and a lot of wear and tear still taking the fight to the Allies.

Figured this would be the best place to get feedback, the dio forum. Someone already pointed out to me about the spades not being dug in, that was something I didn't think of before and a big faux pas. I also used the Tamiya sandbags, another no-no I know but I had them and I figured I'd use them for this build. Has anyone ever used something called 'Creative Paperclay'? I picked that up too thinking I might use it for the sandbags (it air dries, no need to bake) and was wondering if it would be as good as sculpey?

Name_1s_MUD
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 226 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 07:14 AM UTC
I'm in awe... we can expect very good things from you if this is your first diorama and first model! I am impressed. I think the weathering looks good. A little more practice on the fleshtones on the figures and I'd say you got a real winner. Was this all brush painted? Looks pretty good for not using an airbrush.
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 987 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 07:35 AM UTC
Wow! this is impressive for a 1st attempt - my 1st was timid at best and forvever lost in time - for good reasons! :-)

I would point out that you went a little overboard with the wear & tear as far as the chunks missing from the rubber on the wheels (in my opinion).

You really have taken this into 6th gear with a 1st start - I see several techniques being attempted all @ once.
Florre
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 980 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 08:09 AM UTC
riiight... I guess you don't want to see MY first attempt then Or better, I don't want YOU t o see it :-)

Seriously, that's really wonderful, congratulations! The gun is beatifully weathered. The figures though really like look old tamiya ones, but that's not your fault of course The painting of the figures is pretty good. You could indeed use some practice on the faces, but my first faces were orange, so you're defenitely on the right track :-)
I also like the name of the vignette, really cool.
We really can expect some amazing stuff from you, sure about that!
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm in awe... we can expect very good things from you if this is your first diorama and first model! I am impressed. I think the weathering looks good. A little more practice on the fleshtones on the figures and I'd say you got a real winner. Was this all brush painted? Looks pretty good for not using an airbrush.

Thanks Brian, it's all brush painted. I did pick up an AB a few weeks ago but have yet to use it, still have to get a moisture trap for it when I get a chance to get to the store. Then I have to learn how to use it, so for now I base coat with spray cans and then do brush work the rest of the way.

I agree on the flesh tone, I stripped the first fig I was working on several times because I kept screwing it up. lol I then told myself to just press on, do as best I could and see what happens. I wasn't expecting anything like I've seen in the figure forums but I was hoping for better. It was a bit light so I tried darkening it to add to the 'dirty' look of the troops and gun, kinda came out looking gross. lol

Btw, I'm in awe of what you did with a simple cardboard box there Brian. Great stuff turning that old box into a building, really looking forward to seeing that baby completed.
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,255 posts
Armorama: 485 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I posted this in the Campaign forum already as this is completed for the Tank Terror Campaign

Nice work, particularly for your first Dio.

You have comments on painting that are solid. Here are a couple of thoughts...

Angle your major item (in this case the AT Gun) on the base. The compostion is better and it attractsthe eye, because itis not semetrical and lined up. here is an example of what I mean.

! agree with you on the sandbags... consider A&B Exposy putty or create reall sand bags by makinga tissue tube, cut to the right lenght, close one end, fill with fine sand (HO Railroad Ballast), then tie off or seal the other end. Soak them in a 50/50 white glue and water solution and then arange them as needed. While wet you can even rip a bag or two and let the sand run out onto the ground/vehicle.

Keep up the good work I look forward to seeing more from you in the future!

John
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 10:12 AM UTC
Don't worry, this is my first real attempt but not my first attempt. I did build a Hobby Craft Hummer last year but it came out horrid, I rushed it and made some errors on it. It's a junker now I'll use for practicing techniques, so it'll serve a purpose. So Alex, you're not alone there in having it be lost forever in time. lol

Were the chunks out of the wheels too much? Thanks for the input!
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 10:12 AM UTC
Hi there

I'm impressed, but I also agree with the two points (composition and sandbags) I use miliput to make sandbags, it's very easy. Send me a message if you want to know how to do this!

Greetings
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 10:15 AM UTC
I did learn Florre, abot the kit figures with this one. I didn't look as closely as I could have and fixed some errors before it being too late and half the painting done. Shoulder boards weren't flat and straight, stuff like that.

What kit figures are the best? Dragon, Tamiya etc? What would you guys recommend for future dio's? I have kits that come with figs to use, mainly Tamiya ones and all of my figures are Tamiya Germans with one Dragon modern US Marines set. Dragon's do look more detailed but not sure if it's just that set that looks better.

You're right aboutt he faces, they need a lot of work. Very plain with no detail done, for my next project I will try to spend more time learning about painting faces and see what I can do.

Thanks for the input!
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 10:19 AM UTC
Thanks for those tips John, much appreciated! You're right about the gun being offset, I didn't realize it until I saw the example you posted. It looks much more dramatic and 'in place' that way, mine looks a bit too 'staged'. lol

Great tip on the sandbags and I do have some ballast I picked up at a clearance a while back, wasn't sure what I could use it for but now I know. Would there be anyplace out there that would have some pics to go along with those directions for me to follow along with? I like the idea of tearing the bag and having sand flow out, could take a pin and pop a couple of holes and have sand trickle out from gunfire. Excellent tip!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 10:45 AM UTC
Nice post - I saw (and comment) on this in the campaigns and these are much better photos! The lighting is great. The weathering and texture of the shading on the uni's is much better here.

Well done and - Nice job for a 1st diorama.

So, you've recieved a lot of feedback on things to improve next time - here are some nice things you did well in your first diroama.
1. Nice finished base - varnished and dressed up.
2. Nice grass and ground texture.
3. Added the tire ruts.
4. Weathered everything - figs, PAK, ground.
5. Encompassed enough for the story and didn't have 'dead space'.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 10:47 AM UTC
Thanks again Scott, all comments appreciated! I appreciate the kind words and criticisms, that's the only way to learn.
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 1,735 posts
Armorama: 586 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 05:36 PM UTC
Very, very realistic weathering on the PAK. That's one well used gun and it definitely suits the title. Simple but effective groundwork, and your first one to boot.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 05:39 PM UTC
Thanks CK, I definitely wanted it to be a beat up and well weathered, used gun.
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,255 posts
Armorama: 485 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 06:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Would there be anyplace out there that would have some pics to go along with those directions for me to follow along with?

Sketch something up this afternoon between classes. hope this makes sense...

John
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 06:53 PM UTC
Mo, all I can say is wow!
That really is a great 1st dio. Yes, I agree with the above posts about what you "coulda, shoulda, woulda" done, but I also think did some great things that many intermediate modellers neglect to do. I love the deep tracks leading to the AT gun, it really accentuates the weight of the gun.

John, great tip. Thanks. I really never thought of making sandbags by actually using sand. A nice change from the putties and clays.

RR
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 10:02 PM UTC
hi Maurice,
very nice diorama and if this is your first attempt ,we will like to have your further dioramas as 'models on display' I agree self-made sandbags will add more realism to your dioramas. I see you did a good job on painting the figures though they are not very good quality,just a lil more attention on flesh parts will make them look better...and a last thing; the deep wheel tracks of Pak40 made me think the ground is soft,so a few foot prints of crew here and there could be a good addition..just my humble tip for your next dio
Congrats for the nice built.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 10:40 PM UTC
Hey Moe! As a recommendation for figure purchases, I would lean towards Dragon as a cheap non-resin option, or even the latest Tamiya figures have improved outta sight compared to the ones you have used... Tell you what, if you go to the Hornet website and peruse the diff. head sculpts you can buy, it will inspire you no end! These spruce up the plastic mould figures tremendously, and the variety is great. Have to say though, that it makes you improve your painting as you don't wanna wreck them!! :-) Cheers mate
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Armorama: 810 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 02:33 AM UTC
Moezilla -

Definitely concur with others on your excellent efforts for a first diorama. Your attention to detail, weathering and composition are very well done and the results speak for themselves. Maybe just a couple very minor adds to further the details like some extra gear for the crew (small arms, rifles or mp40 for defensive purposes) and some foliage or rubble in front of sandbags to break up/camoflauge the gun more? I hear what you're say about figures and I've got many old Tamiya figures I just don't use. I've gotten "hooked" I guess on the detail and variety available in resin figures like Verlinden, Warrior, Nemrod, etc. Though there have been some improvements in Tamiya and Dragon figures, I like to make the "focal" figures resin and use the others to "fill in". It can be frustrating with a couple of resin figures costing as much as the kit itself. I've used "Ebay" to build quite a stash of resin figures and would like to offer you a "free" donation of a couple resin figures to start off your next diorama. PM me with interests (I have mostly German, but a few US GIs) and I'll see what I can do. Figure this would be a good investment in a talented diorama "student". Keep us posted on future efforts.

Blade48mrd
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 641 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 03:19 AM UTC
Pretty cool looking dio, straight and to the point. Figures aren't that bad, they'll only get better. Faces aren't my strongpoint, all I do is paint with a flesh tone, and add a burnt umber wash, that's it. :-) Like how you've got some grass growing along the sandbags, which btw, are ok to use, it's not the end of the world, if that's all you have on hand, oh well, use 'em.
I've tried the tissue method of making sandbags, and it's not as easy as it looks. Tissue tearing, and disentigrating once it's dipped in the water/glue mix, and for me, ends up in a big mess. I use clay for mine, but results aren't always the best. SAS uses plasticine, and he works wonders with that stuff, so I'm gonna give that a try.
Great little dio!
tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 336 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 03:29 AM UTC
Fantastic first effort ,i agree with the post about the sand bags i did some the other week and used putty they came out real good sit well give them realistic wear make it look as if sand is falling all sorts great job on the gun weathering real nice.
Cheers Chris keep them coming
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 05:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Would there be anyplace out there that would have some pics to go along with those directions for me to follow along with?

Sketch something up this afternoon between classes. hope this makes sense...

John

John, you are the MAN! Excellent tip there with a "dummies guide" (perfect for me!) image to boot! We should get this up on the site here somewhere for tips for modelers who may not know of this one. Thanks!
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 05:50 AM UTC
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I definitely appreciate it. This is a perfect example of the strength of the BiG A, everyone really gets involved with one another and helps out. There have been great points brought up about things I need to work on for the next dio, things I could have done better etc. All of this is much appreciated and there are some things I never thought of and others I go (slaps forehead) why the hell didn't I think of doing that. lol

Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 05:54 AM UTC
Thanks Engin, great points and very nice compliment! Only hope I can eventually get my abilities to that level to be on display here. I'm proud of myself with the dio but know I have a looooong way to go yet.

Quoted Text

hi Maurice,
very nice diorama and if this is your first attempt ,we will like to have your further dioramas as 'models on display' I agree self-made sandbags will add more realism to your dioramas. I see you did a good job on painting the figures though they are not very good quality,just a lil more attention on flesh parts will make them look better...and a last thing; the deep wheel tracks of Pak40 made me think the ground is soft,so a few foot prints of crew here and there could be a good addition..just my humble tip for your next dio
Congrats for the nice built.

Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 05:57 AM UTC
I went there (never been to that site before) and WOW, is all I can say! They're so good I'm almost afraid to order some for fear of screwing them up, like you were saying. lol

I'm going to go through the heads there because I do have a vignette idea that I'd like to try for the Remember Korea campaign. I just need to get a cold weather Marine (only ones I know are the Dragon Chosin Marines) and a good head like one from Hornet. Then spend about 200 hours painting, stripping, repainting, stripping, repainting etc etc till I get a decent face. lol

Quoted Text

Hey Moe! As a recommendation for figure purchases, I would lean towards Dragon as a cheap non-resin option, or even the latest Tamiya figures have improved outta sight compared to the ones you have used... Tell you what, if you go to the Hornet website and peruse the diff. head sculpts you can buy, it will inspire you no end! These spruce up the plastic mould figures tremendously, and the variety is great. Have to say though, that it makes you improve your painting as you don't wanna wreck them!! :-) Cheers mate

_GOTOTOP