_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Cromwells to Charioteer
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 513 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 06:52 AM UTC
Hi guys. I now have a Nishimo Charioteer model (whether thats a good thing remains to be seen). I compared it along side a tamiya Cromwell and it is a little bigger. My question is, did the hull really get bigger (deeper) on the Charioteer, or was it just a re turreted Cromwell? Is this kit simply 1/32nd and not 1/35th as advertised? As for the kit it is clearly a toy, designed for motors etc, but it's unusual and British, so I like it. It will need new tracks though
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 07:03 AM UTC
Shaun
I don't believe the hull was longer I know that they had wider tracks on to compensate for the added weight here is a link to an Accurate Armour conversion
http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?CFID=3039928&CFTOKEN=31493598&manufacturer=0&category=66&subcategory=39&product=539
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 513 posts
Armorama: 291 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 09:35 AM UTC
Thanks Chad. I had seen that web picture before. I see they convert a Cromwell kit, so I assume it should have the same chassis. Does anyone know different?

DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 10:25 AM UTC
I believe that the prototype Charioteer used standard Cromwell track, and production models used the wider track in the AA conversion kit. The chassis was standard Cromwell. The extended ( by one roadwheel) chassis was introduced for the A30 Challenger tank and Avenger 17pdr SP gun.
My guess is that the Nichimo kit is 1/32 scale if it's visibly larger than the Tamiya Cromwell.
 _GOTOTOP