_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Do we need a "Hide User" button?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 08:58 AM UTC
This might have already been discussed but if it was I missed it. I just noticed the "hide user" button. CRS replied to my thread asking about it and described it like a email blocker, blocking posts from certain users. My question is do we really need this button?

Here are my two cents on this. I hang out at three main web sites. Armorama, of course, Historic Battles, http://www.historic-battles.com/forum/index.php, and The History Channels WWII discussion forum, url]http://boards.historychannel.com/forum.jspa?forumID=101[/url] Historic Battles really came about because of all the people who were leaving THC's forum. It was being taken over by, "Hitler was right, the SS was misunderstood, the Holocaust never happened" pond scum. Over on THC there are plenty of users I'd rather hide. I haven't yet because sometimes even the most hateful person can put out something I'd want to respond to.

Armorama is the very best site I've ever come across. Its members are the friendliest, most helpful, most giving people I've ever ran across. In the two years I've been here I can't think of anybody I'd want to hide.

Now, that's just me, and if I don't want to use it I don't have to. Here is my concern though. Two things. One, as CRS said it's a one way street. Once you hide a user it's done, you can't go back again. Second, and this is most important, if I was a new visitor to the big A and I saw that button, I'd be tempted to wonder, "what kind of board is this that I might want to block some of the people?" I just don't think it's needed, and I can see it doing some harm.

Now, all that said I might like to suggest something else. The moderators do a absolutely GREAT job here, keeping the threads on topic, polite, and clean. They are human though, and most of them have "real" jobs. There are sometimes threads that get started that maybe a moderator would like to look at pretty fast, to nip them in the bud. Perhaps a button like, "advise moderator" that would be a red flag, sending a special email or pm to the moderator to take a look at that thread. That way the moderators could respond quicker to getting threads back on track or something. I'm not saying that we should have a great deal of censorship here, but if we could head off heated threads before they get too heated it might be a good thing.

Anyway, that's just how I feel about this. Nothing what so ever should be taken to mean I don't continue to love Armorama.

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 09:07 AM UTC
Rodger,
As I responded in the other thread, you can unhide ALL your blocked users, just not one at a time. The link to clear your hidden users appears on the topic page once you have hidden someone.

There are only about 12 people even using it so far so it doesn't appear to be a serious issue of people getting hidden en-mass.

Cheers,
Jim
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 09:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Chuck....not "quite" right. You can unblock ALL of the users you have in your block list but not single users. Once you block someone there is a link on the forum topics page that says "unblock all users". I think it either shows up at the top or the bottom of the page.

Jim

Ooops, my bad. Having never used the feature I was not aware of the "UnBlock All" button. Was just using recall of an earlier discussion. Ergo my callsign CRS.

Rodger - It's just one of those application thingies, you don't have to use it., and as Jim has said not many are.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 09:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ergo my callsign CRS.

Lol...I thought those were your initials?

Jim
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 10:45 AM UTC
Those are my initials, but obviously my parents were thinking ahead.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 11:50 AM UTC
I wish we had a "Hide All Users" button.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 04:28 PM UTC
Yes, I asked for it a long time ago. I spent a while being the target of a group within the DSB. I still tend to avoid replying to most anyone with a Pig#...Minister of... in their signature.
 _GOTOTOP