_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Submitting Reviews: Format issues...
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 07:52 PM UTC
I just wanted to put this out there for our regular review contributors. Some of you are going through a lot of extra motions with the review text (inlcuding a few editors) that are really unnecessary.

The Review submission page is not HTML driven. You can type JUST like you do here in a post and the text will format and line-break accordingly. So you don't need to add P or BR tags to your review text. Just add a line break. There is an additional formatting H6 TAG that editors (or you) can add to make the pretty graphical section headers. When you do this it is important to BUNCH UP the text because the H6 TAG adds space above and below it. So this for example would be fine...

blah blah blah.< H6 >Next Section< /H6 >This is the text for the next section.

There are not suppose to be spaces between the arrow marks but if I don't put them in the HTML would go live on the page.

I would also like to STANDARIZE the articles on the site as much as we can. I realise that many of us (Editors inlcuded) have unique styles, but I think everyone can understand the benefit of articles being formatted in a consistant way.

Here are a few items I have noted tonight as I went through reviews from a dozen people or so.

1. Check your punctuation. No elipses at the end of sentences. Or make sure there is a period. Also all sentences should have a space between the period and the next letter.

2. If you add links you can use A TAGS to add an HTML style link. Or just put the full URL and the editor can modify it for you.

3. Select ALL the pull-downs on the review form. Some of these items (like country and era) are not yet online as features but they soon will be.

4. Armorama is written as: Armorama. Not ArmoramA or ARMORAMA or ARMORAMA. Thanks especially on that one. Pet peeve.

5. Additional formatting of text is not advisable as it can have really adverse affects on some of the dynamic properties of the site. I realize that having certain words in bold or italic text enhances their viewability, but I also would like the site to have some consistancy across reviews, features, and news articles.

Thanks for your help on these items.

Cheers,
Jim
john17
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 920 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 08:25 PM UTC
Jim:

Thanks for the overview. I'm sure many will find it helpful for future submissions.

I completely agree with you on the issue of consistency. It is very important in maintaining a site identity.

Thanks again for this refresher.

John
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 09:16 PM UTC
Roger that Chief. Thanks for explaining things.

I have quite a few reviews scheduled for april and may, so this will come in handy.

Thanks again !
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 11:51 PM UTC
Got it.
 _GOTOTOP