_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Making your own Hudson and Allen leaves ...
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2002 - 04:06 AM UTC
Ok, I an mot sure if this should be posted here or in the scratch building section, but here go's

Hudson and Allen has a product called Forrest Litter. This is in fact the seeds from a Birch.
I have found a small forest of Birch trees very close to my house and I have send my kids to get me some.

They brought me two 5L buckets full of it #:-) #:-) It is enough for a lifetime

The cones already turned brows so they fall apart without any work at all, but you have two products after it falls apart, the leaves and the chafe (which is useless), now I must separate them, but I don't know how.

I have tried the following methods: water, blowing, sifting. No effect, the mass and size is almost the same (microgram’s). I could separate them by hand, but this would mean that at the end I have 5L of "leaves: and 5L of chafe and I know I won't get my kids to do that for me (I tried )

Maybe someone tried this and found a answer to "easily" separate them?

#:-)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2002 - 04:16 AM UTC
Uh, sorry Ronny, can't answer your question now - goin' out lookin' for Birch Trees

Gunnie :-) :-)
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2002 - 08:00 AM UTC
You could always call Hudson and Allen and ask them how they do it #:-)
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2002 - 06:17 PM UTC
Wouldn't letting mother nature do it be the way? I mean letting them sit out side in bucket and dry by themselves I use to have Birch trees in Long Island white Birch had plenty of pods. (:-)
 _GOTOTOP