_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Waltzing Matilda !!
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 06:56 AM UTC
Well, it's a Matilda so what else could I call this post!
It's Tamiya's Matilda with CS (3" Howitzer) and added details. The decals are home made. I wish to acknowledge the help given by a great guy by the name of Shane Lovell in researching this model, and thanks also to Cliff (Mr Roo) for putting him in touch.

It's not 100% accurate, as I had three tries at making my own tucker box (on the turret side) which was a 2pdr ammo box, and POW can racks; before giving up and modifying parts from the spares box.

My tribute to all the Aussies that fought against the common enemies in WW2, in this case in New Guinea.

PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 08:47 AM UTC
Nice model you got there dave,the weathering is cool not over done.cheers
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 10:06 AM UTC
Thanks Karl. The weathering is actually heavier than the 'photos show, especially around the mud chutes on the sides. This is a vehicle that's been missing completely from my collection, and I've had no Aussie armour either so I've now filled both gaps in one!
SnakeEye
Visit this Community
Rodopi, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 10:19 AM UTC
I liked the Bronze Green. Very successful.
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 398 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 10:19 AM UTC
great looking model!!!!!well done love the weathering!!!! #:-)
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,255 posts
Armorama: 485 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 11:05 AM UTC
Nice work... inspires me to work on some UK Armor...

John
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 11:17 AM UTC
Very well done Dave. All this needs now is a base and a few figures. Again very well done mate.

Cheers Jason.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 06:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very well done Dave. All this needs now is a base and a few figures. Again very well done mate.

Cheers Jason.

Thanks for all the compliments.
This won't be getting a base Jason - I can display probably three or four 'stand alone' vehicles for every one on a base, and space is getting really tight right now..........!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 07:59 PM UTC
Lovely model again Dave. Ive actually put mines on a Swedish "e-bay type" site, and now sort of regret it. You made a fine job of this old dog.
I like the weathering, but one thing I think it misses, is some build up of dirt. This is what actually attracted me to the matilda in the first place. I love how there always seems to sit dirt and sods of turf in the windows of the track guards. The tracks on the front maybe could do with a rusty wash to make them stand out more, and also the tin cans on the front fenders. Its just that, they´re all the same tank colour.... giveing them different hues of greens or weathering makes them stand out better.
This is just my approach to painting anyway even if its wrong .. it just looks better in my mind.
All the best
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 08:10 PM UTC
Its always good to see ANZAC armour. Dave you have done a wonderful job of this one. Will you be doing any more ANZAC armour soon?
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 05:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Will you be doing any more ANZAC armour soon?

Depends what turns up Andy! My total 'stash' at the moment is an M4A3 for a 17pdr conversion, a Crusader which will be a British desert version, and a Churchill on order for an AVRE conversion.

Frank - the cans and a couple of other boxes are a different green, I think it's my photography that's the problem! As for dirt build up, if I put it on a base, then I'll build up dirt, but I feel that it would look a bit odd with chunks of mud on it when it's a 'stand alone' build.

Thanks again for all the kind words.
mlb63
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 355 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 07:46 AM UTC
Nicely done.The Matilda has always been one of my favorites.My Ma and Dad used to tell me that they would see them on Aitkenhead Rd(in Glasgow)all the time.
Frag
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 437 posts
Armorama: 292 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 07:51 AM UTC
Dave,

It's nice to see something a little different. Great build and paint, as usual from you.
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 07:56 PM UTC
You did a fantastic job on that Matilda.One of those models we don't see very often. Love it
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 08:03 PM UTC
Very nice indeed (as usual!) Dave.. This is the one that you were building when I posted the the Firestorm News story? Yep, it would have annoyed me as well!! Never mind, they have some more Matilda stuff coming out, so you can plan accordingly ..Jim
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 05:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice indeed (as usual!) Dave.. This is the one that you were building when I posted the the Firestorm News story? Yep, it would have annoyed me as well!! Never mind, they have some more Matilda stuff coming out, so you can plan accordingly ..Jim

Jim, when I looked more closely at the firestorm parts I didn't need them anyway - Brassiere didn't have the standard POW racks, turret boxes ar the heavy front mudguards!

Thanks again to all for the kind words about my model!
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 05:40 AM UTC
I never built any allied tank so far, but this one is very nicely done.

My compliments

MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 08:09 PM UTC
Dave very nicely done mate. This and the Aussie Stuart (Honey) are two I may build if I run out of trucks to do.
dogload
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 09:34 PM UTC
Just caught up with this one Dave- nice one.
I suppose you've checked out the Australian War Memorial website?
Some nice close-ups of cupolas and other fittings- did they really have 3"howitzers fitted? If so, what prevented more powerful tank guns being fitted to the likes of the Valentine and early churchills- or was that War Department policy in action?
Tapper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 664 posts
Armorama: 484 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 11:15 PM UTC
Wow, the finish is very real! You've done a magnificient job!
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 05:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just caught up with this one Dave- nice one.
I suppose you've checked out the Australian War Memorial website?
Some nice close-ups of cupolas and other fittings- did they really have 3"howitzers fitted? If so, what prevented more powerful tank guns being fitted to the likes of the Valentine and early churchills- or was that War Department policy in action?

Shane Lovell, who provided most of the info I used, is an official researcher, so the Australian War Memorial pictures were made available to me together with a lot of other research material. If anything let this one down it's my skills, certainly not the quality or amount of information!

Thanks again for the compliments, especially Roo as this is an Aussie subject.

Most early WW2 British armour had a 'CS' or 'close support' version with the 3" howitzer. I think that this continued up to the Crusader. Larger guns couldn't be fitted as the turrets were too small, whereas the howitzer had a smaller breech and fired a lower charge than a 'gun' would do. It mainly fired a lower velocity HE round, rather than the higher powered solid anti-tank shell.
dogload
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 10:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Most early WW2 British armour had a 'CS' or 'close support' version with the 3" howitzer. I think that this continued up to the Crusader. Larger guns couldn't be fitted as the turrets were too small, whereas the howitzer had a smaller breech and fired a lower charge than a 'gun' would do. It mainly fired a lower velocity HE round, rather than the higher powered solid anti-tank shell.

Thanks for the info.
MC
 _GOTOTOP